Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Northern Start Quilt

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
gmaann

Re: Northern Start Quilt

Post by gmaann » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:19 am

tcbeginner - The first time you make Flying Geese using Eleanor's method and the Flying Geese ruler, you'll be hooked! There are two rulers available now - which make 4 different sizes of Flying Geese. I understand that two more rulers are coming out soon which will make 4 more sizes of Geese - all smaller. I can hardly wait. I'll be first in line to buy them!

Guess I went to bed before you did last night, but really - it isn't hard to do the geese, and I promise you that you'll be so pleased with the results. Watch the video again. In the meantime, before you get the Flying Geese rulers, you can be cutting out the pieces for the whole quilt. What size will you be making? You can probably get the whole quilt made before school resumes!! After all, it is QUILT IN A DAY! (tee hee!)
Ann

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:40 am

Ann,

I believe my book is titled "Quilt in Year" where are getting this day stuff at? :-) I ordered the flying geese rulers along with a few other items this morning. I have a crazy question for you...remember I've never done this before with a pattern.

I am making the queen size quilt, if I recall you have the book, so hopefully you can help. My question is when the directions say cut into strips, is that strips length or width wide from the orginal fabric?

MAWmum

Post by MAWmum » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:52 am

I can help with that one its the width of the fabric. :O)

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:57 am

When you say width I assume you mean the edge that doesn't have the salvage. As I have said before, I'm new to all this; the quilts I have made, have been my own creation...so I didn't have to worry.

vagrandma

Post by vagrandma » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:03 am

tcbeginner....the width of the fabric is selvage to selvage. HTH

I don't know if I welcomed you or not...so welcome to a great forum!!

Sandy

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:10 am

*smile*

(jumping up n down) I know the awnser to THAT question......
It is with of the fabric. Also some imes called in here WOF.

So tickled I can awnser that question.

tc, it took me a few times to get the hang of the flying geese made the QIAD way. Because I am too impatient to follow through with ALL the steps. I still have some trouble how to do the 'squaring off' of the flying geese, as to what side of that ruler to use for that.

I have a few rows of flying geese practise blocks hanging on my design wall now. It really IS fun, kinda magic how they come together.

***Tulpje***

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:15 am

Ah, I guess we are talking about two different books!! QIAD has a book by Sue Bouchard, Eleanor's #1 assistant, called Northern Star Quilt. You can find it on this website - Evie posted it farther down on this topic. That is the book I have. It has the directions for using the Flying Geese rulers - your book probably shows a different way (and maybe even different sizes of geese). I hope I haven't confused you even more by my comments!!!

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:19 am

I'm sure you all think I'm crazy for trying this...but I wanted to try to make a patterned quilt. Sandy I'm a visual learner when you say width is selvage to selvage that means that I will NEVER cut the selvage off correct. I will only cut it off on the piece I'm working with.

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:22 am

Ann,

I have that book as well, I was just being funny when you said quilt in a day...I could have it finished over my break. It will take me at least a year at this rate. Am I correct on determining the width?

THANKS!

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:41 am

You cut the strips WOF (Width of fabric) - that's from the selvage to the selvage. So you'll have strips about 42-45" long, depending on the fabric.

There ARE some quilts that you can complete the TOP in one day - like the Log Cabin or Rail Fence (but you have to get up pretty early to do it!). I 'got it' now - I thought you had a book with many quilts in it, including the Northern Star!!

I am doing some table runners that are 'quilt as you go', and they are easy to COMPLETE in one day.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”