Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Northern Start Quilt

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
tcbeginner

Northern Start Quilt

Post by tcbeginner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:56 am

I was wondering if anyone has ever made the Northern Star Quilt? I've only made two quilts and this one I "thought" looked easy, but I'm having some trouble getting started. Can anyone help?

Tulpje

Re: Northern Start Quilt

Post by Tulpje » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:30 am

*smile*

I have even not heard of that one. Sounds wonderfull. I hopoe soemone can help you with that one. Will you post pictures?

***Tulpje***

kho

Post by kho » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:38 am

Where did you find the pattern?? There are so many patterns I can't keep them all straight. I love stars too.
Sandy

nanjam62

Post by nanjam62 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:41 pm

I like it too. The book is on sale here on QIAD
Nancy

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:50 pm

After I posted this I noticed I did it in special projects...not sure why, I'm new to the site. I live near an Amish Community and I purchased the pattern/book from their quilting shop. Will post pictures at some point, it's for a wedding gift in the fall.

mcmema

Post by mcmema » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:07 pm

tcbeginner!!!NOT to worry I post on the wrong sites all the time!!no problem!!! LOL!!!!
Im thinking you are new,,,,??? welcome!!

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:29 pm

*smile*

tcbeginner of course a hearty welcome from me too.

LOL and NO worries with posting it in this forum.
Just watch out for our teasing you about it.
However, you do have a chance that we might demand to be able to 'count' your stash as a token for our friendship. LOL j/k

***Tulpje***

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:49 pm

tcbeginner - What is the problem you're having getting started with the Northern Star quilt. I think someone here could help you if you describe the problem. Is it the Quilt in a Day Northern Star book? I have not made the quilt, but I have the book (one of the "I want to do someday quilts!") and could possibly help you with the book in front of me!
Ann

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi Gmaann,

I am concerned about working with Flying Geese (that looks weird). Looking at the "easy" step by step directions has already scared me. Do I actually need a Flying Geese Ruler? Does Joann Fabrics carry the ruler if I need it? That is the closest place (90 miles away) to me.

Thanks!

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:18 pm

You can make Flying Geese without the Flying Geese ruler, but it makes them SO EASY and they turn out perfect. Some of the QIAD books show how to do it without the FG rulers. When you start with those 2 squares of different sizes, you end up with 4 geese. If I were you, I would invest in the ruler when you have a chance. (They are 25% off here on this website until the end of the year.) There is also a video on this website in which Eleanor shows you how to use them. From the Home page, near the bottom, click on Online Video Demonstrations, then choose the Flying Geese Ruler demo. If you want to go ahead without the ruler, let me know and I'll check my other books and see if I can find the directions.
Ann

Return to “Projects from the Heart”