Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What does this forum mean to you???

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
mcmema

What does this forum mean to you???

Post by mcmema » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:14 pm

I was really think alot about this forum after reading the post about religion. To me this forum is like "Hands around America!" No matter how large or how small the problem, needs are met and the person or people needing dont even have to ask.Everyone is so kind and always watching out for each other!

When I joined this forum back April, I was beyond my self! It had been 13 years since I lost my husband to Cancer,the only life I had was my grandchildren and my children when they could make time for me. I am with my grandchildren constantly and it got to the point as to where I wondered what it would be like to talk to adults again!
dont misunderstand me I love my babies all 12 of them, but I think everyone needs adult conversation. I never leave my home only on the 3rd of the month to pay bills and get groceries. I am disabled.
When I joined many people supplied me with needs to be able to quilt,
Everyone knows who you are.I was totally overwhelmed with the generosity and love flowing out to me.I had been in a total depression and didnt think I would ever think proper again, until one nite after lurking for nearly 2 months I decided to join! OMG what a gift that has been to me every since day 1!!!
Not only have I been loved and respected but I have laughed, cried, worried, and tried to contribute when possible to others needs.
during the fires I lived on this net amoung others 24/7 until we all knew our forum sisters and brothers were all ok and didnt lose their homes.Thank God everyone was speared. God is Great!Well to make a long story short>>>> when I came to this forum I felt as if I had no one>>>>>>>> since ive been here I feel like I have the world of friends! and family.
Just wanted to share the importance of this forum with everyone and I would be totally lost with out it!!!
It is very adicting!!!!!LOL

Thanks to every one.. I love you all sooo Much!!!! and thank u for helping me find me again!!
I would be interested to hear someone elses thoughts on this forum.
Have to also thank Our QIAD Linda for starting this great forum and keeping it under control!! luv ya Lin

Jennie/mcmema

mequilter9158

Re: What does this forum mean to you???

Post by mequilter9158 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Lin.........I joined in March of this past year and I feel like I've been here forever. Such wonderful, caring people to share our ups and downs with. And such a beautiful chance to feel that I can make a difference with helping out someone I haven't even met or may never get a chance to do so. I felt alone quite a bit of the time, my DD & DS are older with lives of their own and they're out of town. My Mom passed in February and I really feel that she's the one who led me here. I will admit that I'm addicted, but what a wonderful addiction to have. Thanks to everyone for everything.....you don't know how much you've changed my life!! Love you all!

Evie

Post by Evie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Jennie, your friendship and that of everyone on here means a lot to me. I only have one friend in this area and because of family needs, we only go to lunch about once a month. Sometimes we make pledges to walk, but things come up and one or the other can't make it.

But, I can come on here any time, day or night, and talk with friends about whatever.

You and I talk back and forth about our sons being in Iraq, our concerns and feelings. Respecting what they are doing, but fearing for their safety.

DH is my friend also and is good to talk to. But right now he's making grunting noises at the TV!

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:50 pm

Well, 2 yrs ago my last child moved out and I was so miserable & lonely. I had laid off from quilting the previous 2 yrs. and just didn't like my life with no kids at home. Heck, it was past time for him to leave as he was almost 27. LOL So I went to work. That gave me a reason to get up every morning and be around other ladies. But....it took so much from my DH & I. When he was at home between jobs, I was at work from 7:30 til 6 or 7 pm. That really cut into our time together. The work thing just wasn't my cup of tea I decided as it was a new Company and was not going to succeed. So I resigned and decided to start travelong to jobs with my DH & furkids. I needed soemthing to do on these wells rather than sit in the RV watching TV which I am not a big fan of. Again, I was not happy. We talked and decided I wanted to get back into quilting. He bought me a 2nd machine from Ebay for the RV. That has worked. But I needed female company that shared my interest. Tried the 2 guilds here and they are not friendly at all! So I began searching the net & stumbled upon this fabulous group. Yall were so friendly & welcoming!!!! Still are. And you are not judgemental, discriminating or hateful. Quite the opposite. SO after lurking and getting so much needed joy in the quilting world here, I finally got the guts to join. I haven't looked back since. When I am at home alone, I have ya'll. Thank the Good Lord~!!!! When I am sad or need to vent, ya'll are here. When I need prayer, ya'll are here. I couldn't imagine life now without this group. I have learned a lot from here and have the nicest group of friends now that I can talk about quilts or quilting with. You ladies and men are the greatest friends a person could hope to have. Even if we haven't met. And the ones I have had the good fortune to meet, it just means the world to know you.

Love Ya'll
Cathy

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:00 pm

One of the saddest things, I think, in life... is to not have anything to look FORWARD to.... I've lived alone for about 7 years after my husband left in 2ooo and my youngest son finished college. My days were all one like the other. I went to work, came home and crashed on the couch in front of the TV. Days off, I spent time just doing chores. Last year about this time, in cleaning up one of my spare bedrooms, I ran across some Christmas fabric I forgot I had and the urge to sew again came back to me. Once I made my first (and worst) little lap quilt, I was HOOKED!!! I started surfing the internet, just to find information on HOW TO quilt--never really gotten into before. I had heard about the "Quilt In A Day" method of quilting and had seen some done. Our school district's Community Ed program offers a class-- but it's on a saturday and you have to be there EARLY (I am NOT a morning person)

So as I'm surfing I decide to google Quilt in A Day... and on a whim join up on this forum. It has been one of the BIGGEST BEST things that I've ever done. Topped of course by my children and grand children. It is just phenomiinal to me... the love, support, kindness, caring and friendship I have found here.

Last April, I was whining about wanting a new machine so badly and trying to squeek it into my budget and trying to be good and not buying fabric so that I could save up for a new machine. Lo & Behold some dear dear friends pitched in together and bought me a new machine and had it shipped all the way from FLORIDA no less. I was so stunned and shocked... I couldn't stop crying. I am still so very very amazed at the kindness of other here. I've learned so much from everybody, had great fun with swap and exchanges and now every day I have some thingi to LOOK FORWARD TO!!

Y'all are THE BEST

Marymargaret

Bonnielass

Post by Bonnielass » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:09 pm

I have been sewing most of my life. But a BIG boost happened to my quilting interests when I started watching Eleanor back in the 80s. I joined this forum back in January because it was QIAD. At the time I didn't have fabric, a good sewing machine, money, rulers, etc. But over this year with various sales I have slowly but surely been catching up a bit. And of course, the biggest boost this year was when Holon sent my sewing machine! I'm sorry I couldn't get involved as much as I would have loved to throughout this year, but sewing for the people in California over this past month is why I joined this forum. Because I have watched all that everyone has done throughtout the year, and I have been trying to hurry the process so I could join in. So much has changed since the 80s and this is not an inexpensive thing to do. Reading through all the advice and tips helped so much as I felt I was "just beginning" all over again - and my confidence has been expanding as well. I am all alone here in AZ, but I feel I gained a "family" with QIAD. I so look forward to this coming year because I know I will be able to get involved more and give more. I thank God for this forum and all of you. I found more here than I ever thought possible when I joined. Thank you all...

Debby

kadie

Post by kadie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:49 pm

E V E R Y T H I N G ! ! !

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Awwww Kadie. So sweet.
Lori 8-)

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:18 pm

Jennie, what a great idea for a topic. As I read each post, my eyes flooded with tears and my heart with joy and love.
I had wanted to start a forum for quite awhile but there were always so many other things that needed my attention. In the summer of 2006, the slate cleared quite a bit and I worked with Andy to get this up and running. We started the forum in late December, 2006 but officially in January, 2007. Every day when I would check, more members were signing up and posting. I can't tell you how surprised and excited I was! The best part was that immediately, everyone was chatting, joking, and getting to know each other. In February, my Dad was unexpectedly hospitalized and I immediately flew to Nebraska to see him and be with my mom. My dad had had a heart attack and was revived but he was without oxygen for too long. He was in a coma-like state. I sat with him everyday in the hospital. I prayed, cried, talked to him, sang to him, read the Bible to him. Then I would drive mom back home and stay with her. The local library had computers with internet capabilities so I would escape the heartache and come to the Forum and pour my heart out to all of you. I have never in my life known such loving and caring support as I received from all of you. I feel that you were all here for me and I wasn't alone in my grief. A few weeks after I returned home after dad died, Loretta Smith came to QIAD and presented me with a quilt, with blocks from all of you! It is my prize possession and will be close to me always. As I write this, I am choked up just remembering how you were all angels to me during the hardest days of my life.
What does this forum mean to me? It means loving friendships, laughter, support, prayers, chatting, and of course, quilting! I believe that God's hand was in the creation of this Forum and He is alive and active here still.
Thank you all for "being" the forum because that is what it is - you and your thoughts, dreams, care, and love!
Thank you all for the friendships that are precious to me.
Linda

mcmema

Post by mcmema » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:23 pm

lov u Kadie!!!!!!!

Return to “Projects from the Heart”