Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stockings for Troops - Part 2

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
MAWmum

Re: Stockings for Troops - Part 2

Post by MAWmum » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:12 am

How awesome would that be if one of the stockings made by El's Angels ended up in your husbands hands.

Sorry it looks like I am stalking you posting right after you on everything. ;O) It wasn't like that officer I swear teehee

akeleyquilter

Post by akeleyquilter » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:45 pm

You are awesome for all you have done for our service men and women.
I'm sure they will appreciate all the goodies.

God Bless you and your elves.

Karen

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:09 am

I had no idea you had made soooo many! There are going to be some very happy soldiers and you started it! Thankyou for sharing all these pics, Amie :o)

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:44 am

I contacted jameswife and her DH is going to get one of the El's Angels stockings! I'll send it out to him on Monday. Also mcmema's son. I had some extras I saved out for individual soldiers and sure enough...glad I did.

Yesterday I received an e-mail that another unit has received their stockings and said they'd be e-mailing pics for me to share with ya'll! How exciting! We didn't know diddly-squat about how to do this project, and we learned an awful lot of things to make the next one, if it's necessary, even better! There's something I've just got to share with ya'll...there's an Atlanta radio talk show host who is running a stockings for troops project. He has a website where people can use their credit cards to buy a BOUGHT stocking and a staff that will ship it. Ok, their goal is to send 1,000 stockings to the troops. DH and I heard this and looked at each other.....Oh My GOSH!!!!....El's Angels sent 600 stockings, not just stockings, but HAND-MADE GORGEOUS STOCKINGS!!!!!! Without benefit of media /radio advertisement!!!! Now, what do ya'll think about that???? Are we not the bees knees, or what????!!!! Ya'll are the absolute best! There's more heart on this forum, it is flat amazing!!!! As I said earlier, this stocking project took us by storm, we didn't dream it'd be so successful and we hit the ground running with it and learned as we went. I had intially planned to keep track and mail a thank you card to everyone who participated. Well, I got caught up in a storm of stockings and lost track pronto!!! I want everyone who so generously contributed to this project to accept my apology for not sending you the personal thank you cards you deserve, but please know, it wasn't an intentional slight. We are still overwhelmed at the out-pouring of stockings we received, it was the most thrilling and emotional experience my family has ever had. If I had a nickel for every tear we shed during this process, it'd be enough to send stockings to every single soldier!!!! Christmas morning, every one of us will know that we did something to make a soldier's day brighter and touched his/her heart...and we all will feel better for having done this project. Kudos to El's Angels! Not any one person can change the world alone, but in numbers, we can achieve a whole lot. And that is what excites me the most about the Projects From the Heart category...2008 is going to see us shine even brighter, we've only just begun! Wow, what an opportunity this forum is providing for all of us, it just makes me so excited that electricity shoots out my fingers!! ROFLOL!!! Well, you expected me to say that didn't you??...afterall I am the Drama Queen!! LOL! Thanks everyone for making this such a success, it is beyond anything I imagined. Now, tell me a "little group of quilters" isn't a force to be reckoned with!!!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:52 am

Oh, gosh, I can't wait to see the picture of those guys and gals getting their stockings. Y'all are amazing!!!

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:40 pm

OH GP, no need for you to worry about not thanking us properly. You have thanked us over and over again many times. I can see how you can get caught up in this project. So many many stockings, we know you were flat out getting these filled and mailed. We all know what we did and I for one am so glad I was able to help. I will do it again when you say the word.
El's angels RULE!
I can't wait for you to get pictures from the troops with their stockings.

Spudgrandma

Post by Spudgrandma » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:47 pm

You all did an awesome job, I'm sorry I missed out. I missed the posts about it until it was over. I know the troops really appreciated your efforts.

God Bless You all
Spudgm

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Although I joined to late to get to participate, I want to express my heartfelt thanks to all those involved in any way in this project. I have often, and just recently I heard it again, "I feel sorry that they are hurt or aren't home or are in harms way, BUT they chose that life, so. . ." I feel so angry that I cannot respond or I wouldn't remain ladylike and would probably regret what I said. These wonderful men and women chose to protect all of us, not to be put into useless harms way or to get wounded or even die. They have made a supreme sacrifice, as have their families, that this country and its people may enjoy freedon. So the least we can do is anything to support them. The stockings were wonderful, as were the pillowcases that were made. So thoughtful to a group of people that REALLY appreciates those of us living in peace thinking of them and doing something tangible for them. Our prayers continue for their safety. Yes, a little group or quilters can make a difference, and El's Angels are here to do just that.
If there is a next time, I'm in. Once again, thank you for doing for a group that is so close to my heart. Blessings to you all, carol/kittyquilt

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:35 pm

OK - so I still have a use for the template I had made!

After the first, I will start making stockings for NEXT Christmas.

I hope and pray we don't need to send them to troops in war zones, but would love it if we could send them to shelters instead, because our guys and gals were back home.

DH went to a meeting this week - they said that the VA is not taking any more disability claims from Vietnam veterans, because they need to start focusing on disability claims from Gulf I and II vets, as well as Afghan vets. It's sad.

QuiltinKay

Post by QuiltinKay » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:31 pm

I was not able to help this year but I have been sitting here looking at the pictures and crying. I am so proud of you all who participated in this project. I had gotten so involved in our guild project but I am on January 1 going to make a stocking and at least We will be getting a head start, and we must remember that there are always soldiers overseas and away from their loved ones at Christmas. You, who did all this are truly Angels.

Georgiapeach, you and your wonderful DH are special people and my life is richer from having been priveleged to know you.......

.....Kay

Return to “Projects from the Heart”