Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How to get started. . .

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
justdawne

Re: How to get started. . .

Post by justdawne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Suzette,
You've gotten a lot of good suggestions already. I just want to chime in with a point to consider.

You can always work within an existing, larger group. Finding one should be pretty easy if you google search 'charity quilts' or 'charity quilts and your state/town'.

BUT...I wanted to suggest another option for your to think about.

You mentioned your personal connection to chemo treatments. Who can you talk to at the place your husband received treatment? They are your best resource. They know the patients and even though they are bound to confidentiality they could get the quilt to people who really need them. Every chemo patient deserves one, don't get me wrong but someone with little family in the area might 'need' one more. I hope you understand what I mean. If you only have 1 quilt to donate perhaps you could leave it to them to get it to someone in need.

OR you can work in a group of women to make more than one quilt. Are you a guild member by any chance?

Looking forward to hearing how this unfolds for you. I think when we have something in our heart that we are called to do it will happen as it is meant to.

Best of luck,
dawne

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:26 pm

suzette58, I started making quilts for the local fire departments. I talked with the fire chief and asked if there was a need, what sizes they would need, etc. The next thing I knew I was sewing alot of quilts for three different districts.

Chidamoyo

Post by Chidamoyo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:12 am

I agree with all the ideas given but here is another one for you. We have a cancer doctor in the area that has people making quilts for him to give to his patients while they go through chemo.

Rita

Return to “Projects from the Heart”