Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How to get started. . .

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
suzette58

How to get started. . .

Post by suzette58 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:14 pm

I was wondering, how did any of you get started with your projects? I want to do something and can't figure out how. I believe I want to make throw size quilts for people with cancer. My husband is a Lukemia survivor and when he would go for his chemo it made a mark on me for the rest of my life.

suzette58
Suzette

catwoman

Re: How to get started. . .

Post by catwoman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:40 am

What a wonderful idea! During a crises [sp?] of any sort, especially health, a soft hand made "blankie" is so comforting. That old saying , its more blessed to give than recieve, is certainly true. When you make those many stitches, you are thinking of the comfort that your gift will bring someone in need of all the love they can get!! Sounds like you are such a dear careing person. I'm sure you will touch many lives . Kudos to you!!!!! Joy

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:11 am

Suzette, you start by doing what you just did.

Maybe you can go back to where your DH had treatments, and see if they would be willing to take some off your hands, so that when people are getting treatments, they can be covered.

I've heard that with some cancer treatments, I think chemo, the people have to sit, and have an IV and they get cold, it's just part of the treatment. So, maybe they would like come blankies to cover them.

Cindy

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:01 am

Suzette, I agree with CindyB and her suggestion. You can also check you LQS, they sometimes have groups that use their class rooms to work on volunteer projects such Project Linus and other organizations. The LQS in my area all have different volunteer organizations, you drop in whenever you can or donate quilt tops or fabrics and batting.

I had been praying on it and had started to pick up flyers from different LQS' to see what they had. The quilters group that I belong to just happened out of the blue at the Walmart fabric counter when I met one of the volunteers. Pray on it and see where the Lord leads you, it will happen.

teacupdelights

Post by teacupdelights » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:46 am

Suzette--have you looked at the Oncology discussion under this topic (Projects from the Heart).

You could also call local hospital or community cancer treatment centers. I am sure they would be very glad to have lap blankets, etc.

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:05 am

If there is a burn center at a hospital near you, you could contact them. Often victims there are younger people, especially teens, and they could use some confort like a lap quilt up to twin size.
Or the teens at an abusive crisis center. We usually think about the mothers and the little children, but the teens kinda fall through the cracks, or get the quilts that were made with kiddy fabric. Teenage, boy and girl, fabric would be very nice.......carol/kittyquilt

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:26 am

Many hospitals have volunteer auxilliary groups that make things for patients. A local chapter of the Red Cross, Goodwill, or a community support group might be able to point you in the right direction.

Carole

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:44 am

Ditto what catwoman said! I agree, what a caring person you are! I didn't know how or where to start either, and the forum gave me a direction to start in. It made it easier for me because I already knew everyone here and felt comfortable asking questions and now that we have a special category "Projects From the Heart" we're starting to have more and more projects to join in with. This forum is chalk full of Angels right here on earth, all you have to do is toss out an idea, mention a worthy cause that needs support, and you will be amazed at the outpouring of support that follows! Whether you want to start your own project for someone or some group in need in your own local community, or want to join in on one that's already in motion...either way there will be lots of support for you, trust me. I certainly think your idea is a great one, my FIL has been going thru chemo treatments for the past 6 months and is going to have more treatments extended now. What a wonderful thing you are doing and you can count me in to contribute however I can with it. You Go Girl!!!

nanjam62

Post by nanjam62 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:44 am

Suzette,
We have a quilt group at our church that makes quilts for cancer patients. You might check and see if your area has a prayers & squares chapter. Go to prayerquilts.org They have some great ideas and also list their chapters by area. They also have on the website many easy quilt patterns. If you have any questions you can pm me. It is the most rewarding thing (outside my familylife) that I have ever done. Just take the first step. I thought about it for 2 years before I did it. What a waste of time that was. Good luck.
Nancy

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:25 am

Suzette. . . .QIAD-Linda and I sew for the "Prayers & Squares" program mentioned by Nanjam62 below. Check out their website and even if isn't your church, you could probably still join a group.

There is also the "Linus Project" that also has a website with guidelines for their quilts. You can just sew and drop them off or become as involved as you would like. Tiggersmom is in a guild that does things for assisted living complexes. You can just make up walker bags, lap quilts, crocheted slippers (with dots on the bottoms for slippage) etc. and just take them in to the desk. A lot of these people don't have family so they LOVE getting homemade things and the staffs are always so appreciative.

It sounds like you already have a place with a need. Lap or twin size for the chemo patients. Ask at the desk, the staff may have some suggestions also.

Of course, there are a few different projects going on here also.

Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Return to “Projects from the Heart”