Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stockiings for the Troops Project

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
Georgiapeach

Re: Stockiings for the Troops Project

Post by Georgiapeach » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:14 am

mequilter, I'll be on the lookout for the check, and it will be very appreciated, thank you!

To date, we have now mailed out over 500 stockings! Everyone's response to this project has been amazing, I just can't even begin to describe it! El's Angels is the most generous and giving
group, and I've seen the proof! I've been taking pics this week of every step of the process and will get them posted when I get a chance.

I want to run this by ya'll and get your opinions. There are still some stockings on the way to me. What I'd like to know is, with your permission, would it be ok with you if I sent these stockings to QIAD-Linda to donate to the fire victims boutique project in Ca.? I know your stockings were made for the troops and every stitch sewn was filled with love for them, and I want to make sure I honor this. I just thought it'd be nice to support QIAD-Linda's boutique for the fire victims as I know she can use all the support we can provide. PM me about this, if you have stockings on the way to me now, let me know your wishes on this. Also, if you haven't sent stockings and were planning on it, I think it'd be nice to send them to Linda for the boutique. That is also a very worthwhile and needed cause and like I said, she can use all our support with it. But like I said, I will wait to hear from you and act accordingly on your wishes. I have never in my life seen such a generous out-pouring of generosity as I have thru this Christmas stocking project, it has touched my family profoundly to be a part of this, I just can't put it into words. Thank you just doesn't cover it, but that's all I can think to say about it! Let me hear from you about this so I'll know whether to keep filling and sending your stockings or to forward the ones on their way to Linda.

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:32 am

Peachy-pie, YES, by all means send some "socks" to QIAD-Linda for her free boutique! Great idea!

Carole

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm

It works for me.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:12 am

Me, too. I have no problem with it!

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:27 am

This gave me the idea to bring my masonite template and Christmas fabrics to camp...I can make some stockings this weekend for QIAD-Linda's boutique as well!

Carole

akeleyquilter

Post by akeleyquilter » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:34 am

GP,

I said this before, you and your family are great for doing this for our troops. I'll be making more stockings.

Thank you so much.

xoxoxo

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 am

Oh my goodness, it looks now like we're going to break the 600 mark for Christmas stockings for the troops!!! Standing ovation for the El's Angels!!!! Woo-hoo! Can ya'll believe it????!!! 600!!! Now tell me we aren't some bonafide "Bad Mama- Jamas!!!!" 600 stockings sounds like a lot, but let me tell you, when you are standing next to them...it REALLY hits you how many 600 truly is! FANTASTIC!!!! I found out yesterday that two of the units we sent to would like 30-40 more stockings each, (their original counts were off and they need more) and I have almost enough now to fill that "order". A couple of you have some in the mail to me now, and that will be plenty. What I plan to do is fill these last-minute ones requested, and then with the extras send them on to QIAD-Linda for her boutique. Also, I am donating filled stockings for a womens/childrens shelter close to our cabin. I haven't yet gotten a number that will be needed at the shelter, but it is a small one and there won't be a whole lot. Oasis (Linda) already has made 10 stockings for the shelter. I'm going to make some childrens stockings and Teddy Bears, too. I can deliver things to the shelter myself very close to Christmas, and QIAD-Linda's boutique project has a deadline date for things to be to her by Dec.1st. Anyway, thank you for messaging me and posting your wishes for any extra stockings that will be arriving to me.

DH and I have tons of pics to post for ya'll, hopefully this weekend. Yesterday was an amazing day for us. The dad and grandmother of a female soldier in Iraq came and helped us fill stockings! I can't begin to tell you how emotional that was. We hugged, laughed a lot and cried together. They brought a large pic of their daughter/granddaughter in her military uniform and we took pics of them holding it. I got pics of her dad packaging and taping some of the boxes. Pics of them filling the stockings. And we have a white board in our conference room so I had her dad write a message to her on the board and took a pic of that. Her dad told me his daughter's goal was to fill the empty wall in her barracks with pictures before her tour of duty was finished, so.....I'm going to print out the pictures I took yesterday and enclose them in one of the boxes being sent to her. She is going to e-mail pics to her dad when they receive their pkgs. and I will share them with you. I told her family all about the wonderful El's Angels who hand-made all those wonderful stockings. It touched them so deeply. I wish ya'll could've seen their faces when they heard that all the stockings came from all over the U.S. They were amazed. There were many tears shed when they saw the love from ya'll... they held those stockings so close and felt your love thru them, oh my gosh, it was so touching to witness!!!! The ole Peach Pitt was peach butter, believe me....I was reduced to mush! LOL! I am so proud to be part of such a wonderful group as the El's Angels! And it felt so good to see how very much this family appreciates all ya'll's heart-felt generosity. I only hope the pics turn out good because I was boo-hooing while taking a lot of them!

There just aren't words.....going to break 600 stockings sent...WOW! Earlier this week we were loading up the back of the mail carriers truck. She saw us rolling out carts of boxes and had a disgruntled look on her face. Was a touch crabby, let's say. Then my oldest son told her where the boxes were going and the story of what ya'll have done, and she looked up and saw me standing there with the camera.......ABOUT FACE!!!! She got into the project whole-hog and waved for the camera and said such nice things about what ya'll had done!!!! ROFLOL!!! This project has been very emotional for us, I've been exhilarated, excited, enthuised, exhausted, cried my heart out, laughed like a wild banshee, touched on so many emotional levels, shared very tender moments with my children discussing what this project is about, had great fun sharing the activity with my family, had many deep and serious conversations with them about what it means to give of yourself to others, been silly and had a blast playing like elves wearing goofy Santa hats, oh we've cut-up and had a ball, and many moments we were reduced to tears, as well. One minute energized, the next exhausted. But most of all, we have been deeply touched by the generous spirits and loving hearts that hand-made all these many wonderful stockings!!! Oh shoot, I'm bawling again just telling ya'll about this!!! This project is not about what my family has done as our part in it, it is about everyone that has contributed to make it possible. We were just the lucky ones at the end of the line who had the pleasure of filling and sending off and seeing the results of YOUR efforts. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making this possible for us to participate in. You ladies are our heroes, as well as our troops. We printed out cards to go in each stocking, and I must tell you, they were printed out before I could give the "go ahead" on it. They are really cute, but they say our business name and then tell that El's Angels hand-made the stockings and come from all over the U.S. I had wanted it to read our business AND El's Angels!!! Well, the person did her best with it. She put our web address on them so that maybe soldiers will either respond to us or e-mail pics that we can share. Thank you EVER SO MUCH, ya'll have just bowled us over with your hearts and generosity. Sorry so long-winded, but....ya'll know me, it's how I am!

spudmom

Post by spudmom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 am

Well, I wouldn't say long-winded, but if so, very important words! I came here too late to participate in this marvelous project, but have felt all the emotions you expressed in your heartfelt description of your wonderful endeavours.

From deep in the heart of a Navy mom, thank you for caring, and sharing with our military!

Lynne

luv_2quilt60

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 am

Yes, Words are not ENOUGH..for What GP and DH do...Such Love and Devotion..True Angels..............Beverly

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:10 am

Peachie, I was touched by your post.... I know this project has done so much for your family - you will probably find out YEARS down the line that this was one of the defining moments in your life, it cemented your family together in a way I wish we all could know in our lives... I'm about to cry, I am so happy for you!

Return to “Projects from the Heart”