Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stockiings for the Troops Project

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
Georgiapeach

Stockiings for the Troops Project

Post by Georgiapeach » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:01 am

I don't know how to transfer the old topic here, so I just started it fresh! This'll work better, though, less old posts to sort thru.

The first "sample" box of stockings has been received by the unit in Afghanistan already! Yahoo! The other 17 boxes for that unit are loaded in the van ready to be mailed out today. The other three units in Iraq we're sending to have the stockings stuffed and are being boxed up and prepared for mailing as we speak. They'll ship out on Monday. Any stockings received after Monday will also be sent out as they arrive to us, so keep sewing them if you want...they'll be mailed out as long as they come in to us!

I've been taking pics of the process, but haven't had time to post the pics yet, been too busy getting the boxes ready. Hopefully this weekend DH can post the pics for me here under this discussion topic. Just wanted to pop in to let you know of the progress and where we're at with this. I was thrilled to pieces to find out the first pkg. has arrived at its' destination and this whole project has been very exciting...especially now! Can't wait to share the pics with ya'll!

Tulpje

Re: Stockiings for the Troops Project

Post by Tulpje » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:05 am

*smile*

GP, this has been a very awesome project. Having had 2 of our children in the militairy, 1 in desert storm (Navy), the other in Iraqi twice since this war (army), I feel like you're an extention of all those that are worried about their Loved being there.

I have seen the pictures you posted about this project and I was SO utterly ammazed and thankfull. A simple "Thank You" from me to you feels inadequate for ALL you do.

Thank You and Halo off to you. You are a true EL's Angel.

***Susanna***

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:44 am

Oh Susanna, what you said makes me cry and I thank you for your sweet and kind remarks. But, DH and I don't want to take credit for this, we feel very blessed to be able to do what little bit we are, and are overwhelmed by the outpouring of generosity from everyone who has sewed stockings and contributed to this project. We truly are just trying to give back, we are very blessed and feel it's important for us to do this, giving back is what it's all about. We are so grateful to our troops and their families who put it all on the line everyday for all of us. I thought while I was filling stockings that towards the end of it I'd be finished crying, but nope, I'm still getting emotional with every one I fill and pack! I laugh and have fun doing it, then cry because it's so emotional, then have to munch on snacks, I mean...quality taste test control! LOL! and repeat, repeat, repeat! We love what this is doing inside for us and what it's teaching our children, too. Those who are blessed have a responsiblity to give back and we want to be an example for our kids. We're not supposed to just see what all we can grab for ourselves in this life, we're supposed to see what we can contribute while we're here and hopefully leave this world a bit better than we found it. This project has been so rewarding, we plan for it to be the first of many to come, for all sorts of worthy causes.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:54 am

GP - you are doing a MEGA deed for our troops!!!! I can't wait to see the pictures.

((((HUGS))))

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 pm

GP what is the goal date to get stockings to you? I have shortimers and can only remember what happened ahhhh ahhh I forgot what happened.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:07 am

I have told this to GP, but wanted to let the rest of you know. The contact person in Afghanistan was thrilled with the "sample" box he received. He said the stockings were "awesome." Won't he have fun and won't all the other guys/gals be jealous with all those boxes he is receiving. LOL At this point he is the only one that knows about the stockings....well maybe his CO knows. He has promised pictures. I think he is looking forward to playing Santa Claus.

I plan to forward all the "stuffing stockings" pictures to him so he can share them with the other soldiers.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart GP. I know this has been fun for you, but it also has been a huge monetary expense and a lot of hard work. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you.

Diane

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:39 am

Diane, you're so sweet! You helped so much with this project, I hope you know how much I appreciate you, too! I just looked for pics for you to e-mail, I brought them to the top to see if those are the ones you wanted, it's all I could find. One is under Swaps and the other is under Photos.

Our next batch of boxes goes out Tuesday (mail doesn't run Monday). We're sending to 4 units now and finishing up getting those ready to ship out. But, anyone who wants to send stockings, we'll be sending them out as long as we receive them to new units we've contacted. Several of our customers are starting to get excited about this and are donating Granola bars and we're going to be getting more snacks, as well. DH wants to keep this in full swing through the end of November and send out as many as we possibly can.

The stockings are absolutely gorgeous and it's been fun filling them and getting them sent out. Thank you so very much to all of you who have contributed so generously and sewed your little hearts out for this! Believe me, you can SEE the love in every stocking and they are just wonderful! I'll be posting more pics this weekend and also next Monday, too. I had wanted to show a pic of everyone's stocking as they arrived, but I didn't anticipate the windfall that we received...which is WONDERFUL! So please forgive me if you haven't seen your stocking in pics, it got awfully hard to get them all in there and remember which ones I'd already shown. My son had 17 boxes completely packed before I got all the pics I wanted! LOL! He isn't playing around with this...he's getting them out the door and cracking the whip! We'll be sending out at least 40 more boxes on Tuesday. And lots of pics to follow for ya'll.

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:51 pm

Update from Wisconsin (where it's cold outside!).......two customers came in today to donate some cash for the project. They both are extremely happy to know that we're all helping out the soldiers and said to express their thanks to all involved. GP.....I'll send the check out this weekend to you. It's not lots, but I'm sure it'll help out.

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Again Many THANKS and HUGS to you GP and your DH and family.
You have been so gracous to do this. I love reading your post and I know everyone that has helped feel some pride too. I know I do. I am so happy to be a part of this.
I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. Awesome work my dear!
God Bless you.
Kathy

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 am

Yahoooo!!! Also - thanks Diane and Maryellen for helping Peachie get this organized and all the support and fundraising!!!

To everyone who has contributed - thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Return to “Projects from the Heart”