Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Oncology Support Group

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
SewSew

Oncology Support Group

Post by SewSew » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:30 pm

I want to take this opportunity to thank Sewingbee44 (Yvette) for her generous donation of fabric, batting, yarn and assorted sewing notions to the Good Shepard Oncology Support Group. I also want to thank Georgiapeach for her help in making it all come together.

I have been part of this group of quilters for about 3 months and we make lap quilts for cancer patients. Each quilt is bundled with a pair of booties and a cap and delivered to the patients at an Oncology clinic where they are undergoing chemo, or to individuals that are referred to us by friends and family. This group of ladies, mostly widowed and elderly, work on donations of time and supplies. The only fund raising they do is at a local arts and crafts sale once a year and through a raffle of a quilt they made. We have been blessed to receive donations from people through word of mouth, we are continously receiving fabrics and every week we gather to work on more and more quilts.

Once more thank you sewingbee44 and georgiapeach, you are both angels.

Ann

Nadine2007

Re: Oncology Support Group

Post by Nadine2007 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Way to go Sewingbee44 and Gp things like this keep our world going in the right direction. What a great idea.

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:15 pm

That is awesome. Way to GO ladies.
Anything oncology related is pretty tough.

***Tulpje***

nanjam62

Post by nanjam62 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:37 pm

SewSew, our prayerquilt group does quilts for cancer patients also. We have only been doing this a little over a year but we all feel that we have been blessed as much as the cancer patients. However, I had not thought of including the booties & caps. What a great idea. Being a cancer survivor myself I know how cold that little old bald head can get. Keep up this great work. We will remember your group in our prayers

Nancy

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:38 pm

It's amazing all the things quilters do behind the scenes everyday to make the world a better place for everyone.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Thank you Nancy for your prayers.

This is an ongoing project and unfortunately there are always patients that are in need. Some of the ladies are cancer survivors and in my case, I lost my mother to cancer and I was diagnosed with skin cancer earlier this year. When I met one of the ladies at the fabric department at Walmart I felt I needed to help. I had been looking for a group to volunteer with and this group touched my heart as I remembered how my mother used to complain about how cold she was. These ladies have welcomed me and have made me feel needed and I thank them for their kindness.

My prayers go out to you also Nancy and to your prayer group for their work to comfort the sick.

Ann

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:48 pm

I didn't realize (until watching 'House' tonight) that when receiving treatment, cancer patients get cold!! It was a real eye-opener! Cindy

Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Beautful.

teacupdelights

Post by teacupdelights » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:03 am

My sister died from cancer in May 2006, and was always cold from it as well. The treatment center we used had baskets with handmade caps for those cold heads. These simple little things are comforting emotionally and physically...like being hugged and loved. Bless all who help our dear ones enduring this disease.

Carol

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Sewsew

I would SO love to join in making quilts for your group!!! After Christmas when things have slowed down a little, I'll see what I can whip up for you. I may not be able to do the whole thing--such a get it quilted, but I can make quilts tops in nothing flat!

I'd be honored to be a part of this!

marymargaret

Return to “Projects from the Heart”