Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Proposed project Updated

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
WeSignificant

Proposed project Updated

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:05 am

It has been suggested to me that we should make a quilt ot two in Ukraine colors for the children experiencing war. Many will likely be left orphans. I was trying to work it into lotto some how but not sure that will work. So have decided to offer it as a project from the heart. I have not figured out a way to get quilts to the Ukraine and not sure they would get to the it would get to the expected place anyway. But I did find an organization called quilts without bordersWho collect donation quilts and then distribute them distribute them as needed. We would not have a choice as to where they go, And there are specifics regarding construction as far as size types of batting binding must be machine sewn, etc.

These are mostly for children so smaller quilts. I think each one would be nine blocks with added sashing and borders. Pat Sloan has a free pattern in Ukraine colors and I am starting to see others out there.

We would need
1. Blocks made
2. Someone to put blocks into quilt tops
3. Longarm service
4. Binding machine done

I can make some blocks and possibly sew into quilt top but I do not longarm and my machine bindings are horrible.

I am waiting to hear back from the organization but in the meantime, if this is something you would be interested in, please let me know.

Thanks
Last edited by WeSignificant on Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

rosebud3

Re: Proposed project

Post by rosebud3 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 am

Definitely something to think about and get specific information about distribution.

Mary/Rosebud

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:52 am

I'd be happy to help out making blocks and quilts.
Thanks for heading this up Val.
Lori 8-)

velvet

Post by velvet » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:57 pm

I'm in for making blocks just need sizes. I see the news and my heart cries for these innocent families running across borders. Please post more info as you get it. I don't long arm but have time for this special project --anything for the kids!
Diane

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Here is the response I received from QBB. So it looks like for the time being anyway, Ukraine is not an option but sounds like there are other needs out there. I also know of two young boys currently going through Chemo that could benefit. So if there is interest, I can head it up. Would still need help in efforts already listed.

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for reaching out to us. While we are all heartbroken about what is happening in the Ukraine, we do not have any
of the pieces in place that are necessary for us to send quilts to the refugees there. We partner with other non-profit groups
or charities to help transport the quilts and distribute them. We have not been made aware that any group is set up or even
equipped to handle quilt donations anywhere in Europe.

As this crisis evolves, this may change and I will let you know if or when it does. We are accepting quilts and will continue
our refugee efforts that we have been supporting. We have been sending quilts for almost a decade to the Syrian refugees
that are living in refugee camps in Jordan and Turkey and this year we are donating quilts to Afghan refugees that are being
resettled in the United States.

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:45 am

Hi Gals

In a Facebook group I'm in, I have noticed some great info on making blocks to support Ukraine.. though now I can't remember where I saw it! I'll keep looking but I know for sure that Pat Sloan, on her website has a pattern for a blue and yellow star, but it measures about 26" square I think. If/when I find it.. I'll post more information.

In the meantime I'll hunt through my blue/yellow fabric and see what I can find in the garage... As soon as I get my Easter swap blocks done I'd be happy to join in, in anyway I can be helpful. When I find the fabric I'll let you know and I'd be happy to share with anybody that wants to stitch but doesn't have fabric on hand. I'll "shop" from Mary's Garage Quilt Shop! :D

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:03 am

Our extended family member in England is looking into seeing where we can send finished quilts. Her and her husband are doctors so whatever she finds it will be legit for sure.
I printed out the pattern Pat Sloan did for this. I just googled it.
I've also run across an address in Germany where a lady is collecting blocks and assembling them and quilting and sending out. Maybe finished tops would be good to send to her to quilt? I can't check her out to make sure she's legit so it would have to be an on faith thing.
Tina

WeSignificant

Re: Proposed project Updated

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:31 pm

Well it seems as though getting finished quilts into the hands of young Ukrainian children may not be possible at this time.

If you want to make the Star block in Ukrainian colors and hang in your window for support, that would be great.

There is also the 2 boys going through Chemo that I have been told about who would probably love a quilt. For you older members remember when we did the one for Ollie1shoe's granddaughter? I have a picture of that quilt somewhere. I will look and post it. She survived her cancer and last I heard had grown into a wonderful young woman

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:53 pm

Here's the label, now let me see if I can do the quilt

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:56 am

I’m in once we know specifics I can tell you the one baby Samuel is 8 months old suffers with neuroblastoma the other young man is 12 yo Caiden with non Hodgkin lymphoma both just took another round of treatment this week snd have more to go 🥰
🐐izzy

Return to “Projects from the Heart”