Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

teaching little ones to sew

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
grannyQuilts1

teaching little ones to sew

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm

am a great grandmother of 16, I live very close to 13, I have been teaching some of the girls to sew since they were 3 ys old, started with sitting on my lap, then moved to toy sewing machines, when the oldest was 4 she discovered that when she checked her stiches they came apart, chain stiches, she cried so a friend of mine bought her a brother sewing machine, she is now 8. this year 5 of the girls received machines for Christmas along with several bundles of fat quarters. so far they only want to sew quilt blocks together, but I found fabric for 18 inch doll dresses so i am going to try that. I guess my point is, I am oldest in family and they only one who sews, if I do not introduce the kids to this it will be lost in my family when I am gone. right now the girls love to make quilts for their dollies. they take them everywhere and show them off.

grannyQuilts1

Re: teaching little ones to sew

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:03 pm

[/img]

Mya at 22 months, she is almost 5 now and still sewing.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:47 am

Myra is adorable.

You could get a simple takn top type dress pattern and have them all make matching dresses for a picture and if they are interested.

Hopefully, if they aren't interested now the ones who are interested can teach them later.

Good luck, if they all get excited about sewing you will have your own sewing bee right in your family.

Exodus 33:14

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:54 am

You are a good grandma. Those girls will always have memories of you working with them. I wish my grandmother or mother had known how to sew. Would have been much easier/cheaper than learning by trial and error. Mostly error. My mother-in-law could do beautiful embroidery. I wish I had asked her to show me so I could pass that on. Good Job, grandma

Return to “Projects from the Heart”