Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Merryman House 2017

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
gmaann

Re: Merryman House 2017

Post by gmaann » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am

Boo was back today with a box from Sandy/kho! She sent 12 pillowcases and a BEAUTIFUL quilt with the 'unscariest' monsters I have ever seen! The quilt is bright with yellow and orange and red and I can just imagine the smile on the face of the child that receives it! And a couple of the pillowcases match it. Most of the pillowcases have 'kid' fabric, but a few are soft and gentle for the women. I am truly overwhelmed by the outpouring of love by my forum friends for this project. I know Linda/QIAD Linda would be thrilled to know her project is ongoing. I will try to get in touch with her to let her know.

Thanks, Sandy, and everyone who has participated over the years! The first year many of us took one of Eleanor's classes in Paducah, then had a 'Show & Tell' for her of the quilts we were donating to Merryman House. Most of the quilts in those days were QIAD patterns. We hadn't thought of pillowcases then, and in the past few years we have donated many pillowcases. I know the kids love them. I have a grandson who wanted the same pillowcase on his pillow every time. Only when it was really 'in the wash' would he be satisfied with another. Pillowcases are so easy to wash, and the staff at Merryman House has said how much they appreciate them!

kho

Post by kho » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:16 pm

Ann, I am sorry I missed your call. Glad the box arrived. I will see if I can make some more pillowcases throughout the year for you. I have my eye on a couple of pieces of fabric that may work for them.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:13 pm

I am heading to Paducah tomorrow with all the beautiful quilts and pillowcases that you have sent to me. I will be so happy to present them to a representative of Merryman House. If anyone has anything else to send, please send it to the QIAD store in Paducah to my attention and I will be sure that it gets to Merryman House!

Thanks again to everyone for their support of this project. The whole town of Paducah makes the quilters feel so welcome during the quilt week, and this is one way we can say 'thank you' to Paducah, by supporting their shelter for abused women and their children! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 am

I am home from Paducah. Tina, from the Merryman House, came to collect the quilts and pillowcases I took. She was overwhelmed with the number of items we sent. Said specifically that all the items were so much appreciated. When a child is able to return home, many personal items -(soap, shampoo, etc.) are put into a pillowcase that is theirs forever.

During the show time, Bland50 and her husband and grandson Gavin came and brought 5 big boxes of crayons for the children. You may remember Gavin from many years. I think he was 9 the first time he came and brought a quilt that he had made for Merryman House. Gavin is now a wonderful, handsome young man of 14! He was selected - or volunteered - to assist Eleanor in her show! It was such a pleasure to see and talk to Bland50, her hubby and Gavin. Bland50 is having health issues and could use our prayers!

Thanks again to all who were able to add something to our contribution to Merryman House. It is wonderful to be able to continue this tradition.

My Quilt in a Day forum friends are THE BEST!

I did decide that this will be my last year working for Quilt in a Day at the show, but I will continue to GO, so will be asking your help again next year. I can't lift heavy boxes of books and rulers like I could 11 years ago, I'm not supposed to bend because of my spinal fracture last year, and when I kneel to pick something up because I can't bend, I can't get up without help! Time to realize that those co-workers who are 2, 3, 4 or 5 DECADES younger than I am will be better able to do what QIAD needs. Decided to 'retire' before Orion says he doesn't need me any more! I have loved every minute of my time there. I love the people I have worked with and love seeing and talking to customers who come year after year. It's been a great experience, but it's time to 'hang it up'!

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Ann,
Thanks so much for being the courier for all that we as a group sent to Paducah. It is so appreciated.

Thanks
Suzette
Suzette

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Thu May 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi Ann..........Thank you for letting us all know that this years trip was another success. You have done a wonderful job of collecting and distributing our gifts to Merryman House. Now that you won't be working at the quilt show, you can relax and enjoy all that you have helped to create. I'm sure your work ethic has rubbed off on some of the younger workers. You have earned time to just have fun! I'm so sorry that I didn't get to meet you (personally) in Julian a couple of years back. But has been fun here in the community getting to know you.

Stay positive (as you always are) and keep moving. ;)

Hugs, Linda/Oasis

Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Ann, thanks so much for the update. I'm going to go to the September quilt show with my girlfriend that lives in Arkansas. I haven't seen her since last year when she was out here for a retreat. It should be a fun time. Will you be there?
Lori
Lori 8-)

Return to “Projects from the Heart”