Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

warm pad for dogs and cats in animal shelters

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
tinlady76118

warm pad for dogs and cats in animal shelters

Post by tinlady76118 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:05 pm

i have friends and family and our quilt guild save all the cotton fabric and batting for me. i ask for or hit the sale rack for fleece and flannel fabric.

i serge the fabric into pillow type pads and stuff them with the quilting scraps.

then i take them to the animal shelter in aztec, nm. they really appreciate the pillow pads for the animals.

thank you for having this space to post what we quilters do with some of our scraps.
mary crago
farmington nm

JayKay

Re: warm pad for dogs and cats in animal shelters

Post by JayKay » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:07 am

Great idea and how nice of you.

Joyce

SusieQ51

Post by SusieQ51 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:52 am

Maybe this is something I should check into. My sis passed away over 2years ago and there is TONS of sewing items still in the home place. Everytime I look into a closet or box, I find more fabric. For those of you who did sewing with Stretch and Sew's Miss Ann fabric, I even found a box of that. This fabric is a very fine polyester blend, sews like a dream, and lasts forever. I am sure that 35 years ago it was around 9 or $10 a yard.

I do know that the shelters want things that are washable. I took over some mattress pads a few years ago. I will have to see what else I can find for their use.

Thanks for the thought maker -

Diana

It has been almost 4 years and my thoughts haven't gotten beyond the planning stage. The fabric is still there. I am so disrespectful to their memory of doing donating things like this.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:48 am

Just in passing, the animals love those quilts to bring home from
the shelter.. My cat spent time in shelter for illness in bottom of
his crate they had a crochet blanket. Wherever that crochet blanket is he likes to sleep on top of it.. Guess, a reminder of the place/time.. Don't quite understand it, cause he wasn't treated to good at shelter if it weren't for my fighting to get him back, he would of died there..

deepeke

Post by deepeke » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 am

I've made quilt pads for shelters, but also for rescue groups. They also appreciated pee bands for male dogs. I quilt a round section (about 3 inches round for most sizes) then center the quiled part on a strip about 4 inches wide and long enough to go round the dog's belly. Serge the outer edges and done. Easy to make but much appreciated by both shelters (some) and rescue organizations.

brovst

Post by brovst » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:45 am

I made 2 matching beds from a heavy fabric in this manner for our GSs large dogs. They only got to use them when he was around, then one day he forgot to put them up b4 he left. When came home, the beds were ripped up and he had a giant mess to clean up. They are not normally mean or destructive, I think they were bored. I heard of this happening from a quilting friend also.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”