Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Aunt's quilt blocks

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
WeepingWillow58

Aunt's quilt blocks

Post by WeepingWillow58 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:36 am

Dear El,I'am completly at a stand still. I'am the proud owner of 12,
12"by12" muslin blocks.My aunt left them to me.She was a school teacher in a 1 room school for 27 years!(London,Ky)she had 12 students
from first grade to twelve.For their art class one year,she gave them
a piece of muslin and ask them to draw and color someone or something.
The drawings range from(a pot belly stove,)which was in the
school room,to subject matters they were studying at the time.Every-
one is dated.From 1959 to 1963!That's why Ifeel so blessed that she left them to me. I want to finish this quilt in her memory.I want to put it in our county fair,for all to see and learn from.
I just don't know how to finish it.Some blocks are not colored,some are half colored,some are complete.They are in pencil and
in crayon.I do not want to do something that will take away from her
teachings and the age of the quilt blocks.
El,I have taught myself how to quilt,from your teaching and
watching you for years.I told myself,If anyone can advise and help on this project,it would be you.I want others to know,Quilts will always
teach us,wheather it's the past or the present.
I have tried to send pictures of the blocks,with no sucess.I do have poloroids of them.Thank you so much for even listening. Stitches to all
Weeping Willow 58

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Aunt's quilt blocks

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 am

hello,

I am not El but wanted to answer anyway.

maybe you could get some fabric sheets that fit through a computer printer and photo copy the originals onto these sheets... then use the copies for your quilt?

I would think a drawing in pencil would be pretty faded so you might need to adjust your printer settings...

be sure to post a picture when you are done.. we would love to see it.

chriss
Psalm 91

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:05 am

Chriss has a great idea. Order some "PRINTED TREASURES" sheets, I've had success with these.

Attic windows might be a way of showcasing the drawings also.

I hope you will post a photo when you make your decision on how to finish the quilt.

Linda/Oasis
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 pm

What an amazing gift to have been blessed with. I think sharing the images is a wonderful idea and using copies to safe guard the originals is a very wise thing to do. I have heard great things about blocks made with printed treasures. We would love to see the beautiful tribute you design when you complete it. Happy stitching!! Debi

bampish

Post by bampish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:29 am

Weeping Willow, it sounds like you are the perfect person to have bestown upon them such a treasure. Attic windows is a wondeful idea. With that they are 12x12, another option could be to do a setting 3 blocks by 5 blocks with a contrasting sashing and corner setting squares. For the three extra blocks, you could use pictures of the school house and one of your aunt, if you have them. They might not blow up far enough, and you might want collages or the border the photos to get up to the 12" size. You would need to get digital images, which people often do with memory quilts.

I love the idea of using copies of the original muslin blocks if that is possible. It would be safer when showing the quilt, but I can also understand the draw of wanting to use and display the actual pieces. Personally I would keep the treasures as is rather than trying to finish coloring them, but that is my preference. You could have a special event at the fair, asking people to try to identify if they did any of the squares, and to get pictures of anyone who might recognize his or her work!

All these suggestions, when all I really wanted to say was how awesome.
Pam

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:43 am

Weeping willow, I suggest you Email Eleanor directly and copy and paste your letter to her,,,Some one on the staph mau be able to help you more if Eleanor is busy....Wishing you much success in your project if I were closer I would be glad to help you.
I am noy sure how far we are from each other as I am in SE Michigan

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:09 am

how wonderful hope someone could help post the pictures for you that would help with advice somone could tell you

Return to “Projects from the Heart”