Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quilts for chemo

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
indomom

Quilts for chemo

Post by indomom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:40 pm

I am looking to start a nonprofit in my community to provide lap quilts to folks undergoing chemo. As a survivor myself, these quilts are very comforting in the time of need.

Any ideas and tips on how to get donations of fabric and volunteer help?
I welcome any suggestions and advice
thanks

mic-pa

Re: Quilts for chemo

Post by mic-pa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 am

How about approaching a local quilt guild, your local quilt shop, people in church, VFW, or Legion might donate monies. Get the word out amoung co-workers or friends as to what you want to do. Our guild (which is now defunct) use to do quilts with angel on it to give to people who had cancer. good Luck

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 am

You could get your local quilt shop to hold a 'sew in' day for people to come together and make quilts. They would bring their own machines (the quilt shop should have a classroom) and supplies. If everyone worked on the same quilt, maybe you could divide the duties: some cut, some sew, some quilt, some bind, etc. That way if some doesn't have all the skills, she or he can help in other ways. if you LQS was willing, it could be over a couple of days. People could take home and finish and return at a certain time the finished products to you. You can probably think of lots of variations of this idea. Good luck, you are undertaking a vary worthy cause.

Of course, you could always post under projects from the heart on this board and ask for volunteers to make quilts and donate them to you--be sure to give size you want--or some people may have orphan blocks they could donate and you could sew them together or get someone to help--like a fun sew in at your house or someone else's house.

just my thoughts, carol/kittyquilt

SQUEELQuilter

Post by SQUEELQuilter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:14 am

Indomom,
I have a few tops done that I would donate. Some are very scrappy (that I did just to relax) and some just didn't quite turn out the way I had hoped - so they are all just sitting sad & lonely downstairs. I even have backings cut for one or two. But no batting & they are not quilted or tied. If you would like them I would send to you. Let me know,
Tracy

Quil4Victoria

Post by Quil4Victoria » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Victoria's Quilts can help you..we donate quilts to all all cancer patients. victoriasquilts.com victoriasquilts@victoriasquilts.com
if you want to start a group you can have a VQ Workshop.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”