Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sister's Special Quilt

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
KatiesGirl

Sister's Special Quilt

Post by KatiesGirl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:27 am

My sister passed away 1 1/2 years ago after a long and courageous battle with breast cancer. The many times she was sick or too tired to get out of bed, she had a "comfort" quilt that she used. I remember going there one time and seeing this pieced quilt that looked pretty ragged. I asked her if she would like for me to fix it and she said not. As it turned out, it was a quilt she had received from our Grandmother (which Grandma made).

When we had my sister's estate sale, lo and behold, here was this quilt in a box with other covers. I asked the auctioneer if he would sell that quilt separately. Since it was in pretty poor shape, I was the only one bidding on it and got it for 50 cents.

The quilt is now stored in my basement. I would like to do something special with it and share pieces of it with my niece and nephew and some of my sister's close friends. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help and ideas you may have to offer.

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Sister's Special Quilt

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm

are you wanting to cut the quilt so that each kid can have a piece?

I am thinking it would be neat to have a framed piece of the quilt... not necessarily a "block" but a piece.. framed in either a 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 that can be hung on the wall or set on a shelf...

and if the matte around the piece of quilt had a special saying or bible verse or memory printed on it somehow...

I think that would make a great keepsake to remember someone you love?

let us know what you come up with....

Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:02 am

I think Chriss has a great idea in having a piece of the quilt framed for display. I've also seen simple things made from antique quilts, potholders, book markers, coasters, tissue covers, and then there are simple teddy bears, small doll blankets, table runners and any other thing one could think of.

Please post photos of what you decide to make.

Sue

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:10 am

I used to do calligraphy, and one time I did several pieces for a friend. She had mats cut for pieces of her grandmother's quilt. Below the quilt, there was a cut out for the card I lettered giving a bit of history of the Grandmother and the quilt's origins--dates, etc. There were several that were given to the grandchildren of the woman who made the quilt. You could print your information on the computer with a decorative font.

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am

I sent you a p.m. with a suggestion. THis is a very special quilt which means a lot to you and your sister. Take your time deciding what you want to do.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:55 am

My Sils family made little pillows from pieces of quilt and embroidered the name of the recipient on each one and gave them for Christmas. Truely loved and appreciated.

KatiesGirl

Post by KatiesGirl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks to all of your for your great ideas. My sister's quilt is a nine patch pattern. For Christmas for two very close friends of my sister's, I cut blocks from the quilt, both of which were very ratty-looking for sure, and framed them in shadow boxes. I then added a little typed note at the bottom explaining what the block is from with my sister's birth and passing dates.

I was running short on time and didn't have a chance to take photos of the frames. Needless to say, the two friends were overwhelmed and appreciative.

In glancing at the rest of the quilt, I may be able to get large enough pieces without too many rips and holes to make small pillows. I plan to add an embroidered piece to each one to personalize them and give them to her children and grandchild. (I'll make more for future grandchildren.)

Thanks again for all your advice and assistance. It's great to have a community of experienced quilters and seamstresses who are willing to offer ideas.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:01 am

what wonderful choices you have made... they will be so treasured and each time someone looks at the shadowbox they will smile...

come join us in the sew in... it's a lot of fun...

come back often.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Projects from the Heart”