Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Orphan blocks

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
SQUEELQuilter

Orphan blocks

Post by SQUEELQuilter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am

Hello everyone!
I am not new but have been away from the QUID site for about a year and a half during a hectic period in my life - but I am glad to be back :)
Anyway - I am just finishing up my employment season and have started cleaning out my sewing room so I can start new projects (and finish old ones!) and I have found lots of orphan blocks. Does anyone know of a place where I can donate these?
Thanks for your input!

Tracy

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Orphan blocks

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:08 pm

call your local quilt guild... see if they can use them for charity quilts...

or put them together and make charity quilts...if you put borders around the blocks to make them the same size you can stitch them together easier and they would make a wonderful quilt...

Chriss
Psalm 91

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:07 pm

I have a few of these myself. At one time someone on this forum used them for charity quilts???????????

Sue

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 am

If you added some borders to make them about 16 or so inches, and finished them, they would make great "snuggles" for kittens or small dogs. Or you could just sew them together, the pets really aren't particular, and put a backing on the larger piece for larger animals. Perhaps you local pet shelters could use them or put you in touch with someone who might like to finish them.

For more details on the Snuggles Project, you can google their website. Just another place where they need "blankies".

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Check your mailbox, since I left a message. Thanks.Welcome back to the world of quilting.Yes!!!

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 am

Sometimes I will use them for the front panels on totes and donate the totes to local assisted living homes. They can also be used for the front panel of bags for walkers.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:04 am

hey Tracy... what about pot holders???

you could make them for Christmas gifts....

or hot pads if they are too big for pot holders...

let us know what you decided to do with them.
Psalm 91

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:45 am

How about putting a few of them together with some borders and making them "hugs" for children at a childrens hospital. When Myles was at the Galasano center last year a local group brought in all kinds of different little blankies. So many young children there and it was wonderful to see their faces. Maybe I could find the name of the local chapter that did them. I am sure they would be able to put them to good use. So kind of you to offer these orphans.

Rootyr

Post by Rootyr » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:34 am

If you cannot find someone locally I will take them for service projects for my Guild.

rags&sacks

Post by rags&sacks » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 am

Our church has a project called "Covered With Love" to supply quilts for infants and children in one of our Missionaries orphanages in Lima Peru. As part of this project we hope to teach young ladies in our youth group to learn to sew and quilt as they help make these. donated blocks would be helpful in supplying materials and give the beginners something to sew together. We are currently working on a nap quilt for a five year old from our church with cancer who is undergoing chemo too.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”