Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Men's comfort quilts started again

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
grannyQuilts1

Men's comfort quilts started again

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:52 pm

Well ladies and of course our two gentlemen quilters. this is the first time i have done something like this. I envision this to work like the BC blocks. I would like to make up quilts that can be given to men who are suffering with cancer or any other life threating desease. If you have thought on how this would work i will be happy to listen. i think if we keep it simple it will be best.
1. colors: Manly...tans/browns/blue/greens burgandy.. something that isn't a pale yellow or pink.. :-).
2. the blocks should be 12 1/2 unfinished, any block you chose, if we need sashing i have that. sometimes every block is pretty but needs to be shown off with a bit of sashing. Sashing will be off white or a pale tan, what ever hi-lites our blocks.
3. Cathy and rikster had talked about 24 blocks per quilt. 4 x 6 with a 3 or 4 inch border. some of our men are tall and better long then too short. i hope i have covered everything. if i have let me know.
Barbara

I have never done this before but i would love to make this a go.
Thank you for any input to give me some ideas.
Barbara/ grannyquilts1

Kittyquilt9292

Re: Men's comfort quilts started again

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:08 pm

You got my help, my friend. How can I help? hugs, carol/kittyquilt

debtief

Post by debtief » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Me, too. I will make a few blocks soon and mail. Send me your address when you get a chance. Deb

grannyQuilts1

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi. Cathy started us off with a 12 1/2 in block that is 12 in when finished. the sashing if needed i will supply and i will use a cream or off white. The colors she has suggested were any of the following that look manish. All shades of Tan/Greens or Tans/Blues or Browns/Greens or Browns/Blues. I would think as long as it looks like something your husbands would like to snuggle up in, it will work. :-)
This is just such a wonderful project That Cathy started i would like to keep it going. pm me for am address.
Thanks

SallyC

Post by SallyC » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:12 am

Hi Barbara,
I'll send some more. Please PM your address. My DH of 23 years died of kidney cancer in 1998, so you definately have my support on this one.
Sally

donnacrazylady

Post by donnacrazylady » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:20 am

I'm glad you are taking on this project. Pink blocks and 'men' blocks are on my to do list.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 pm

I am willing to cross stitch more labels. I did a bunch and sent them to Cathy a few weeks ago, but if we need more, just tell me. They are quick to do.

Also, if we get this going again, could you post a fuller explanation of what this project is about? What men? I understand, men with cancer, but what men? DH's of members of this forum? brothers, fathers, sons, etc? Or for a VA hospital someplace? I never did know.

Also, what kind of blocks? 12-1/2" but what patterns are you doing? How big are the quilts? How many quilts is your goal to make? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I've been confused about this and now seems a good time to ask. Thanks,

mz

rikster

Post by rikster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:55 am

Hello everyone. I'm glad to see this continue. As for the type of quilts, don't be afraid of using some bright colors. It all depends on the person the quilt is meant for.

Here is one I did - something to make his day brighter. What better than hand dyed undies?

grannyQuilts1

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:07 am

now that is just as cute as it can be, i like those undies. that is something i hadn't even thought about. and if they are going through stressful times that would sure cheer them up.

Thanks for the pix
Barbara

debtief

Post by debtief » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi Rikster! That is 'way cute and fun, and I can imagine the look of surprise and delight when a box full of sunshine like this gets opened. It would surely lighten someone's burden and make him feel cared about. Thanks for sharing, and a belated Happy Birthday! Deb

Return to “Projects from the Heart”