Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What do you do for the "Race for the Cure"??

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
CindyB

What do you do for the "Race for the Cure"??

Post by CindyB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:54 am

There are several groups in our area of Iowa that about this time of year do fund raising efforts for cancer research..... it all culminates with a "Walk for a Cure" or "Race for a Cure", depending on your skill level.....

Well, I'm not able to participate in either this year, due to my having foot surgery and other things going on in life....

But my hairdresser is in on of these "Teams", named for her husband's family - Team Bass.... they raise a lot (I want to say thousands) of money for this cause.

They have an auction coming up in a couple of weeks. I can't do anything this year.

But - in honor of those I know who have had cancer and passed away from it - in honor of those that have had cancer and are now SURVIVORS - and those who have had cancer scares (including DH with possible breast cancer) - I have pledged to make a quilt for the auction next year!

MAWmum

Re: What do you do for the "Race for the Cure"??

Post by MAWmum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:26 am

I keep wanting to sign up for the race for the cure here in SLC but every year for the last 4 years I have had something going on illness wise that wouldn't allow it, (last year heart surgery, the year before broken foot that neeeded surgery...)

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 am

Hmm Cindy....make a beautiful quilt or run around racing and getting sweaty???

I'd choose the quilt!

Seriously though, I love your post b/c it reminds all of us that we can all be part of something. Someone could twist my arm to 'walk for..' but ain't no way I'm into running. But I have supported walkers and runners and I would attend an auction.

I'm sure I don't have to ask you to share a picture sometime next year of the quilt you'll donate.

dawne

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:06 pm

I hand out water at a station with Girl Scouts :)

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:03 am

Since Quilts are our "Thing", donating an auction quilt is a nice idea. The bottom line is they need $$$$$ for research and sewing is just another way of "Walking/Running for the Cure".
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

cyberspacequilter

Post by cyberspacequilter » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:03 am

Cindy,
Nanjam62 (my SIL) is a breast cancer survivor and has mentioned it on here several times. She and her family have had teams sometimes with our extended families involved in their teams in the past. One year, I think that they won the team contest slogan with "Hunting for a Cure". They were all dressed in cammo and had put up tents, sleeping bags, a duck blind(I think) to spend the night and keep somebody running/walking the high school track all night long as the different teams were set up in the infield and all around the field. She does the Prayer and Squares group at church for cancer and seriously ill members and friends of the church now.
I think that with your friends being "Team Bass" that they could use "Fishing for a Cure" as a perfect slogan for them if they don't already have one and they do the slogan contest.
Great cause.
Cyber-Sue

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback, ladies!! Keept it coming!

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:59 pm

So many of us have been touched by this and it is heartwarming to hear of all the different ways we can and do help out. I still can't walk but will help out some other way. Thanks for the ideas, I have a few weeks before our event and will be taking these ideas to our final planning meeting. Each one of you have been such great support for the cause by sharing and that is a very important part.

Without the ideas being shared way back when there wouldn't be annual events for all of us to participate in. Debi

Return to “Projects from the Heart”