Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

question about chemo quilts

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
justdawne

question about chemo quilts

Post by justdawne » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:29 am

I think it was somewhere here on the forum that I read about quilts being made for people going through chemo. If memory serves it helps the person to not feel cold all the time b/c their bodies have a hard time regulating body temperature?

A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with cancer. I think she starts chemo in May.

So..... the questions!

What is a good size for a chemo quilt to be?

Anyone have pics to share, to inspire me?

Is there any hindsight wisdom that can be shared so that I, the newbie quilter, am spared? **I'm assuming that metallic threads/fabric would be an irritant?

What fabric is best? Cotton or flannel or fleece? I think fleece would be hard to work with unless it was simply used as a backing fabric. Flannel seems like a soft and warm option.

Thank you all. I'd like to get started soon and I know many of you have experience of this kind.

dawne

astitchintime

Re: question about chemo quilts

Post by astitchintime » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:10 am

Dawne, When my mom went thru chemo, she had a wonderful crib size quilt that we kept with us at all times during the three years she was in and out of treatment. It was made of flannel on both sides and stitched in the ditch. Nothing that would catch on her skin or get caught in the wheelchair she had to use as the treatments progressed. This is a wonderful way to give your dear friend something that will bring her warmth and comfort that she will need. I would make sure to prewash everything before you make it and then again after the quilt is done to make sure it doesn't pucker when it shrinks and no chemicals that could irritate her skin. It will get lots of use, so a high quality fabric would be best. If you don't know her favorite colors pick something that makes you smile and think of her. She will love it. Be sure you take pictures, they will bring you comfort later. Bless you for the love and support you will be giving her and know we are here as you go thru this with your dear friend. PM me any time you need to chat, it is hard on those of us that know and love them and a shoulder to lean on is sometimes what gets you thru the day. Love, support and prayers to both of you, Debi

Grammy2

Post by Grammy2 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:44 am

Dawne,
IMHO size should be big enough to wrap around arms & legs and soft & cuddle y. Maybe out of fleece or warm flannel. Nothing scratchy.

If you go with a good cotten on the front, wash first to soften & you could use flannel on the backing. This would give warmth on the back but let her look at a pretty pattern on the front. The front could be images that relate to the both of you...things you do together or have in common.

Whatever you decide she will know it was made with love for her & that is the most important.

(((Hugs))) to you and her

Sharon

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:16 am

Dawne, I volunteer with a group of ladies that makes quilts for chemo patients. We make them 52X52 inches square, a lap size quilt is really best. They are used by the patients while sitting in the chairs with IV's for chemo therapy so we make thme sit across the lap and cover the legs. We also include knitted or crocheted caps and a matching set of booties to match.

Here are two pictures of quilts that I made from fabrics donated by some of our QIAD forum friends.

My prayers go out to your friend that the Lord will give her strength and faith.

Ann

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:03 pm

I made one for a friend and it was a simple scrap quilt. 6" squares of 100% cotton. The one I made was a little bit larger then a throw. She took it with her everytime she had chemo. When my husband was receiving chemo for his Lukemia (spelled wrong) he didn't have to stay at the infusion center but did have to have his chemo bag changed everyday. Anyway, the people that had to stay for their treatment always had some type of blanket. A security blanket. Your friend is in my thoughts and prayers.
Suzette58
Suzette

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:12 pm

I have worked with flannel and found it very easy. Be sure to wash first because it will draw up quite a bit. Be careful not to pull cause it will distort.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:16 am

Dawne, I forgot to add that we make the quilts out of 100% cotton, but I think fleece or flannel would be really nice. If you are using flannel remember to wash it before piecing or using it for backing because of the shrinkage involved.

I continue to pray for your friend.

Ann

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:30 am

Thank you all for the tips. Special thanks for the photos. They really do jumpstart my creativity. The first one is in such wonderful colours that I can just see her loving. The pattern looks managable for this slow quilter!!

dawne

Return to “Projects from the Heart”