Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
Bransmom

Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Post by Bransmom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 am

Thought maybe this belongs here so I copied it from Chit Chat ...

If anyone is able to make scarves for this, I would be forever grateful.

I'm hoping you anyone with children or grandchildren can help me. There is a project here in our area that is asking for knitted or croched scarves for abused children. I'm planning on making some scarves for them.

What I was hoping you could help me out with was sizes of scarves. If you have younger children or grandchildren, preteen age, if you could take a minute and measure their scarves and list their ages and the scarf size, I'd really appeciate it. The agency says "any size, but they must be blue" ... so I need a little help for sizes for different ages of children.

Thanks!

Joann

MARCH 5 UPDATE:

I just spoke with the director of this project and she said because the demand is so high (which is very sad) they will now accept scarves made anyway (don't have to be knitted) but they still must be blue. So fleece, flannel, knitted, crochet, anything is now acceptable.

Please focus on shorter lengths for the scarves as most of the children are pre-school or elementary children.

sunsup

Re: Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Post by sunsup » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:18 pm

I havn't a clue and havn't knited in years and not well then, but I will get some blue yarn and start this week end. Please pm me your address and I'll send it as soon as I can.

Sunsup/Sandy

sewcarolyn

Re: Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Post by sewcarolyn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:37 pm

when do you need them by? I can ask people I know that crochet/knit if they can help out.

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:58 am

There's no rush, there is an event the end of April, but they do the big distribution after the holidays next year, so whenever you're able to get them to me is fine. I'm working on some now -- somehow the thought of scarves goes with cold (in my head anyway) so now seems the time of year to work on them.

The only prerequisite is they must be blue, any color blue. Any size, any shade, just blue. ;-)

Thank you sooo much for the offers, I truly do appreciate it.

Joann

Kittyquilt9292

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 am

Oh, how I wish I could still crochet, but I can't, my shoulders and wrist won't tolerate it.I've tried very hard to convince them otherwise, including resting between sessions, stopping for several months, etc., but to no avail. Just have to accept.
I do have yarn that I've purchased to make various projects, that obviously haven't and won't get done. I'm sure there's some blue in the bags, so let me know if you can use it and let me know where to send it.
This sounds like a great project, blessings to you for doing it and letting us help in some way. carol/kittyquilt

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Carol/kittyquilt ... I sent you a PM ... thank you for the offer of your blue yarn.

Joann

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Joann

I have a TON of yarn.... would you like some?

PM me

Marymargaret

kho

Post by kho » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:25 pm

I'm working on one today for you. I will see how many I can do and let you know later.

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:18 am

I have some already completed, I believe. But, I will look them up when I am near that room in the house, and get them out, and will send them to you gladly.

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:53 am

Thank you so much one and all for your help in making them and also your donations of yarn.

I asked why they must be blue and they said,

"When people think of babies, they think generally pink and blue, and blue is not gender specific so they chose blue".

Joann

Return to “Projects from the Heart”