Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
Oasis

Re: Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Post by Oasis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:33 am

Does anyone have or know of a pattern for a "not knitted/crocheted" scarf?
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Kittyquilt9292

Re: Scarves For Abused Children -- Can you help? UPDATED INFO MARCH 5 - Flannel, fleece, knit crochet

Post by Kittyquilt9292 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:57 pm

I could do fleece. I have a pattern that uses a quilt block to make a "sort of holder" to pass one end through to thold the scarf in place. It just uses a piece of fleece any size and has cuts in the ends to make fringe.
I don't think this is explained very well, but if anyone would like to see the pattern, let me know and I'll try to have DH scan it and post it, or I could copy it and send snail mail, if someone wanted. Post or PM me.

So, Joann, I will get some fleece next time at the fabric store and make some. The quilt squares can be anything, so they could be made from some cute kids babrics, or more teenagerish for the older kids.
So glad they've decided to accept fleece ones, even though the reason is sad, but here's a chance for more people to help out. thanks for posting the update. carol/kittyquit

FranW

Post by FranW » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 am

Kittyquilt,
I would love that pattern. I sent you a PM.
TIA

FranW

Post by FranW » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:28 am

Joann,
Just double checking. Do the scarves have to be completely blue? Will varigated yarn work? Or predominantly blue prints? I am happy to help, I just wanted to double check!
Thanks!
Fran

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:47 am

Fran, thanks for asking. I think both would work. We did discuss varigated yarn so I would say yes ...

They work with children of all ages but I believe most of the children are young school age children through preteen age.

Thank you one and all for helping with this project. I truly appreciate it.

(((HUGS)))

Joann

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:21 am

Jo Ann,
Count me in!!! One way or another I will be knitting scarves to send to you. I can be very determined. :) I also have 2 knitters, locally, on stand-by should I be the idiot needing a guide :)

Thanks to a lovely box-o-knittin-stuff from Sandy/kho I now have a book, needles and yarn!!!! I'm raring to go!

Forum friends are the best!

I will start tonight. When do you need the scarves by? That will determine if I make 1 or more.

:)

Dawne

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Dawne, thanks for jumping in to help, and thanks Sandy for sending you the yarn, etc., to get you started.

The scarves aren't needed for a number of months, but my thoughts are in the summer people are busy (who doesn't want to enjoy the nice weather) and then it's time to start on Christmas gifts, so my theory (for me anyway) is to work on them now, when I have more time to work on them.

Since most of the children are younger children, just make short ones to start and it'll be great and appreciated.

Thanks again for your help, as well as everyone else who has helped out either making some or donating yarn to make them. I truly do appreciate it!

(((HUGS)))

Joann

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Joann,
I started the scarf tonight. Used Sandy's book to read and follow the illustrations. When I had a question I asked a friend and she put me on the path. I'm knitting a row, purl and then knit etc.., *Should" turn out alright. Sure wish I could knit these kids better parents! Will have to pray for them often instead.

Please PM me your address. I hope to have one finished by mid-April.

Dawne

LynnS

Post by LynnS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm

I just want to post a link here for those of you who don't crochet. It has lots of tutorials and I used this site to teach myself to crochet. It is called Crochet Cabana.

The light blue box toward the bottom left will take you to tutorials. You'll also find pattern links on the site.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/'>http://w ... abana.com/

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:20 am

Lynn, thank you for posting this link.

I keep trying to learn to crochet and think I understand the stitches but my edges never look right, they're not even so I quit and give up. Any tips?

Thanks!

Joann

Return to “Projects from the Heart”