Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Color Help

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
tcbeginner

Color Help

Post by tcbeginner » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Greetings Everyone!

I'm going to make a quilt with flying geese. I have about 100 different prints/scraps and they are going to be the triangle of the geese. My question is what color do I want the side flaps to be on all of them since all my prints are a different color/design. Do I pick a light or dark?

mequilter9158

Re: Color Help

Post by mequilter9158 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:34 pm

if you look through some of the pictures here, it might help with ideas for you on the colors. I've seen a few different ones posted. Good luck.

knitnoid

Post by knitnoid » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:50 pm

It really depends on your scraps. Fabric standing by itself may look like it's a medium, but paired with something else it can be come a light or a dark. Are you looking for a single fabric for the 'sky'? Then pull a cream, pale yellow, light blue, or white from your stash (just for color comparison) and see how your scraps look against it. Then pull a navy, black, purple or other dark color of your choice (ooh, how about a red burgandy?) and compare your scraps to those colors. Your fabric will 'talk' to you.

If you are looking to use your scraps for the sky divide them into lights and darks. Which one do you have more of? Which have the bigger pieces?

Let us know what you decide, and of course post pictures!

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:49 am

I agree with knitnoid, with scrap quilts it's all about the contrast between light and dark.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”