Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quilt Help...Flying Geese

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
tcbeginner

Quilt Help...Flying Geese

Post by tcbeginner » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:37 pm

I've made a HUGE error and I need some help. I bought a packet of 200 4" quilt blocks in hopes to make a crazy flying geese quilt. Well the geese template won't work...the smallest one made is for a 4.5" smaller square. Does anyone have any suggestions or help? I would like to make a quilt out of these crazy blocks.

gmaann

Re: Quilt Help...Flying Geese

Post by gmaann » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:30 pm

If you can wait awhile, I understand that QIAD is coming out with 2 more Flying Geese rulers - all for geese smaller than the ones they have now. I think they will be available about Paducah time (April). They may be used for patterns in Eleanor's new book, Victory Quilts.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 am

I've made the flying geese using El's rulers and making them a different size than is on the ruler... Let me see if I can explain.

make the geese according to the directions for a larger size than you need... follow directions until just after you cut all the geese apart.

To square up to a smaller size, use the ruler to square up the tip of the geese to 1/2 inch.. this will be your starting side....

turn the geese around, and cut to what you need (finished size & seam allowances).

Divide the needed width in 1/2 (don't forget seam allowance) - square your ruler up to that measurement being on the tip... cut one side.

You can then turn your ruler around and cut the full width that you need the geese to be.

If you do it right (and I didn't always), the outside edge of the geese should be at 1/4" from both edges..

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 am

Those are probably more clear than my trying to explain, too! Thanks, Evie!

tcbeginner

Post by tcbeginner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for the help, I like flying geese! Not sure I can make them without the template.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”