Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quilts for Cuba

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
justdawne

Quilts for Cuba

Post by justdawne » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:52 am

I rec'd this email from my quilting guild. I thought I would send it out for those who may not have seen it. There is plenty of time, months really, to put this together for fall of 2008. I like the fact that crocheted and knitted blankets are of use too. I can crochet far faster than I quilt!

So the question is....is this a job for [trumpet call]... El's Angels???

dawne

Subject: Helping Hands for Cuba

Greetings,

I am writing on behalf of the Dubois Charitable Foundation, a Canadian non-profit organization that provides much-needed humanitarian aid to the people of Cuba. The foundation has established a good relationship with the Cuban government and is one of the few charitable organizations allowed to deal directly with institutions, such as hospitals, clinics, orphanages, seniors' homes, and schools. As a result, the donations they collect reach their destinations, and the foundation sends a follow-up team to ensure this happens.

One of the much-needed items includes blankets. It gets very cold this time of year and the people have no source of heat in these institutions. Randall, one of the foundation's volunteers, informed me that he personally witnessed seniors wearing all of their
clothes to bed in an effort to keep warm. They only have thin sheets for bedding and no blankets. You can imagine the effect this has on seniors with poor circulation and other health issues.

I know that quilters are very generous and are already working hard to support their local charities. However, if every guild could find it in their hearts to send one blanket as a gesture of friendship, this would be a lot of blankets! Please feel free to share this posting with friends and family, or other quilters. Even though you may not hear directly from these people, I can assure you that your gesture will be most appreciated.

We are looking primarily for twin/single-sized quilts, as well as lap and crib quilts. Crocheted blankets are also welcome.

We are in the dead of winter now, so what better time to start a quilting bee for this worthwhile project? Containers are not loaded until the late fall, so this gives you plenty of time to make a contribution. Make sure you attach one of your labels, so people know
where the quilts are coming from. If you wish to send a photo of your quilt-making to me, I will compile an album for the foundation to share in Cuba. In addition, please e-mail me if you are sending a quilt, so we can track the number of quilts being sent.

Finished blankets/quilts should be sent directly to:

Randall Keith
c/o The Dubois Charitable Foundation
1 Blagden Road
Carlisle, ON
L0R-1H1
Ph: 905-689-2442
E-mail: dyeing@lara.on.ca

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Sincerely

Valerie Scott, Shalalth, B.C.
(Hawaii Quilt Guild)

MAWmum

Re: Quilts for Cuba

Post by MAWmum » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:49 pm

That sounds like a worth while cause I want to check out the group and make sure they are legite.
Carin/MAWmum

MAWmum

Post by MAWmum » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Looks like they are on the up and up
http://www.duboischaritablefoundation.c ... ation.com/
Carin/MAWmum

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:25 am

I sent this same notice to a yahoo group and got a few private emails with questions. I called Randall Keith today and had quite a conversation with him. I'm going to cut and paste the email I sent here for any of you who may have questions.

dawne

This is a follow up email to the request I forwarded for quilts and crocheted blankets for the Dubois Charitable Foundation.

Prior to sending the email I went through the website. My overall feeling was that the Foundation is indeed a grassroots, growing charity. After sending the email I rec'd a few private emails looking for more information.

It's always a good idea to seek clarification and more details when you have a question. I'm thankful for the emails I received because they prompted me to pick up my phone and call Randall Keith today.

I learned so much more about the Foundation and have an even greater respect for what they've accomplished. In a nutshell they've been shipping much needed items to Cuba for 7 years because of the vision of one man and 40 dedicated volunteers. Each year they are able to do more as they strengthen their relationship with the Ministry of Health in Cuba and have a larger presence here at home.

They ship all sorts of medical equipment, clothing, bedding....you name it. When they see a need they try to fill it. They often take screening material with them to staple around the windows in Cuba to keep out bugs, for example. Glass isn't used so you can imagine how easily bugs could fly into a building.

They do quite a lot of work in Eastern Cuba in Santiago and other areas I don't know how to spell. They work with senior homes, hospitals and orphanages. EVERY item they ship is labeled Dubois Foundation and each visit they are able to confirm that the donations are still being used by those who need them.

Quilts, sheets and pillow cases are used to wrap up items for shipment. Thus, the equipment and supplies get safely to their destination and the wrapping themselves are extremely useful. There is no packaging waste.

All donations are loaded into containers that are shipped out of Toronto. The Foundation's containers arrived sealed where they wait a few days until a customs worker can transport the container into the province were the donations are headed. At the local level and under watch of local health workers the containers are opened and the donations distributed accordingly. This method ensures that the donations end up where they need to be and stay there, for use by those who need them.

I could go on and on but I won't. If you have any other questions or wish to learn more about how you can help the Foundation give Randall a call at 905-689-2442. Be sure to do so soon because on Jan. 24th he's going to Cuba to evaluate the needs of the orphanages and to deliver 22 pounds of prescription medicine, the maximum allowed per person per visit by Cuban customs law.

The Foundation ships containers 8-9 months of a year. It would be best if blankets were sent by Sept. 15th. This will allow for them to arrive before winter. Randall has been in Cuba when the temperatures have been as low at 7 degrees C. Often people wear all of their clothes in layers to bed and will even sleep together - up to 4 per bed - for warmth.

Lastly, Randall has said that it is possible for you to know when your donation is shipped, when it arrives and to which institution it was sent. Pretty cool, eh?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I wanted to send out the specifics today for those who were curious.

Happy quilting,
Dawne in NS

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 am

I had no idea it was cold in Cuba,lol! I guess I just assumed it with warmer than south Florida. Shows how much I know! LOL! Amie

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:20 pm

My aunt lived in Cuba for years as a missionary and teacher. She wore sweaters, coats, scarves just as we do in the states, because the nights are cool and the breezes from the waters around are cold many times. She left when Batista was taken over from Castro. Yes, Canada is one country that keeps Cuba afloat in tourist dollars.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”