Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Need suggestion for a group raffle quilt

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
knitnoid

Need suggestion for a group raffle quilt

Post by knitnoid » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:18 pm

I was just put in charge of the chartity quilt my quilt club will raffle off in November. This past year we did a Black, White & Purple sampler quilt. Due to the way it was run (by the seat of our combined pants), we didn't really know where we were going with it and then it was a rush to get it put togethter and quilted. This year, I'd like to see us go into the quilt knowing what we are going to do and get it done without a mad rush at the end. I think we raised about $350 last year and adopted two family for Christmas. This is last years' quilt.

So, I'm looking for ideas. I need something which has blocks which can be pieced by beginner, and I'm looking for something which can be machine quilted, probably with a pantograph.

Thanks.

justdawne

Re: Need suggestion for a group raffle quilt

Post by justdawne » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:49 am

My very best advice would be for you to visit http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlock ... alore.html

Click on the size you'd like each block to be. You'll have so many wonderful blocks to choose from. Pick any that have 1 yellow pin as an icon and those are the beginner blocks.

My daughter loves this site b/c if you read the instructions for a block and click on 'go to page 2' you can see a picture of what the quilt would look like if made of the same block, repeated. She also has photos of quilts made by other quilters. The colour variations, if they used sashing or not - all of them are similiar but different enough to really inspire me!

I think the biggest part of a raffle quilt is having time enough to sell tickets and get the marketing out there. Maybe with the use of local radio, or taking a book of pictures of the making of a quilt to a farmer's market or festival to sell tickets. Some people take the actual quilt in a protective, clear plastic bag to show.

Good luck,
dawne

Bransmom

Post by Bransmom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 am

knitnoid,

I don't know if this will work or not, but it's a pattern I've done and all the different layouts are from the same block. Pretty cool!

Hope the link works, I've never posted a link before, so fingers crossed!

Joann/Bransmom

http://www.trulymaterialistic.zoomshare ... tems/bP_P/

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Where I volunteer we have been raffling quilts each year. The key is to keep ahead....no one wants to scramble the last minute putting a quilt together. Be sure an label it with what the event or charity was. Start selling those tickets early! You can usually find someone to sit at a table at different events (like bazaars) to sell the tickets and sometimes those places that usually charge you a table fee will generously let you have a table for nothing since you are representing a non-profit. Good luck with your quilt. Be sure and let us all see a picture!
Susie

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Kit, your first quilt was very striking. Really nice work. I wish I had advice for you, but you are getting good info from others.

Joann, that is a neat pattern. I may have to order it. Thank you.

knitnoid

Post by knitnoid » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:52 pm

The 'business' end -- selling tickets, publicity, quilt label, etc. That comes easy to me. It's the design itself that I'm concerned with. We are a small group - not more than 15 - and our styles & skills vary greatly. But I think I've come up with something that will work. It's two different pieced 9-patch blocks, set on point, with a pieced sashing.

The first pieced block, Pensylvania -- is blue & white. 4-patches in the corners with the blue pointed to the center. The center square is also blue. The second block is a variation on a Jacob's Ladder -- Red & white 4-patches set so a red "line" is set diagonally across the block. The other two corners have blue squares and the remaining pieces are blue & white HST, set so the the red squares are framed in white.

The sashing is a blue diamond with gold 'points' -- similar to two triangles in a square pieced together, but the points extend all the way to the center of the sashing, necessitating the need for paper piecing -- unless I can come up with a better way. The corner stones, and setting triangles are blue.

The end results is the sashing forms stars around the blocks.

I thought I had the 'perfect' setting, then DH and I started playing around with the blocks and now, I've got 3 or 4 which would be great. Tomorrow night I'm meeting up with several of the ladies and will get their input. Then to write up instructions, pick fabric and present the quilt to the group at our next meeting.

sandyp

Post by sandyp » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 am

Taking a clue from Eleanor, the Stonewall Firehouse Auxiliary girls met just this Tuesday and completed a queen-size Quilt in a Day "Trip Around the World" quilt top in one day. Before we all met, I cut the material into strips and arranged the strips in order of sewing. We had 6 sewing machines and 2 irons running, and enough time to have a nice break for a pot-luck lunch. (The two previous group quilts we made were each raffled for over $2000, but this one will be a door prize for the Stonewall Volunteer Fire Department.) All that's left for the "quilt organizing committee" (that's me and my friend) to do is borders and quilting.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:42 am

That's a beautiful quilt. How about one of Eleanor's samplers. Her blocks are usually easy enough for beginners. I bet if you post a picture on here you could sell lots of raffle tickets.
Lori 8-)

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:05 pm

knitnoid,
I think your plan sounds great! I love the Pennsylvania block and the jabob's ladder block is so versatile!

can't wait to see it made.

dawne

knitnoid

Post by knitnoid » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am

Last night the quilt was presented to the club. I wasn't at the meeting, since I'm fighting the 'crud', but it seemed to go over well with those that were, as we've got people signed up to do about 1/2 of the blocks and one person said they'd help with the paper piecing in April.

Here's the quilt I designed.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”