Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Using a serger when quilting

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Susie

Re: Using a serger when quilting

Post by Susie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:05 am

Amie, I use my old serger a lot but I haven't used it in quilting (yet). An easy thing to try yours out on would be a pair of those flannel PJ bottoms. It is so nice to have finished seams!
Susie

Geneva2

Post by Geneva2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:23 am

I don't know why anyone would use a serger for peicing a quilt. It uses a lot more thread.
Geneva

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 am

My Janome 434D serger came today! Now what??? Amie :o)

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:35 pm

:-)))) Amie that's funny! "now what?"
I hope some directions came with it. Wow I can't believe you only paid $40 plus shipping. I have a serger that I paid about $300 for new. I think it was a Wal Mart special. Anyway it worked pretty good for a while. I was making pillow cases and it went fast. I also like to use it for PJ's. But something happened with the tension and I freaked!! I tried everything and finally put in on the floor in the corner. Maybe someday I'll take it out again or better yet maybe I'll get a good one!
Have fun with your new toy!

MAWmum

Post by MAWmum » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:57 am

My grandma gave me her serger I think it may have been the first one ever made LOL!
It's a Juki model MO-104 built in 1981 and its still in the box she never used it and I have yet to try to understand the instructions to thread it. (they are a DIRECT translation so they are HARD to understand!) (it even has the Japanese instructions)

jtyree

Post by jtyree » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:53 pm

I love my serger. Depends on what type of quilt I am making if I use it. I took a couple of classes and was happy with all the neat things that it can do. I have the Janome 644.

Spudgrandma

Post by Spudgrandma » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 am

I use my serger a lot, but have not tried it for quilting. I just made 8 pair of Christmas PJs and it is so slick for that sort of thing. I have a Huskylock 910 and I really like it but, if I had it to do over, I would probably look around a bit more. Janome makes one that does what mine does and it is cheaper and I bought the floor model. Having said that, I really am happy with mine. I also have a Riccar, very old, but I could not thread it any longer because I cannot see as well as I did when I bought it 20+ years ago. It still works great, I just could not thread it. I bought the Riccar when my children were little and made almost all of their clothes, T-shirts, sweats, I even made my youngest daughters jeans because she was so tall and skinny we could not buy any that fit. Now I just sew for fun.

grammie6

Post by grammie6 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:56 am

I am a beginner quilter and the lady were I take classes said I should get a serger. I have recently purchased a babylock sewing machine. Wanted to know if a serger would be hepful in quilting. I am going to try and make a t shirt quilt Would a serger be helpful Dont want tpend the money if wont be helpful in quilting

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am

I have both a regular sewing machine and a serger - with that, I have been quilting for almost 50 years and I would not use my serger to assemble a quilt. I have done t-shirt quilts and there is no reason to add serging on them. I use my serger to clean finish all the garment sewing I do. So unless, you do lots of garment swwing, it is not needed.

Jana

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”