Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Using a serger when quilting

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
belletaine

Using a serger when quilting

Post by belletaine » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:18 pm

I watched a tv program that showed E. Burns sewing a log cabin block together with a serger.
1. Is there a special reason for using a serger on this block?
2. When might one use a serger for sewing pieces together in a quilt?
Thanks for the help.

maryq

Re: Using a serger when quilting

Post by maryq » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:52 pm

HI Belletaine.....

Nice to see another Minnesotan online!!

Sorry I can't help you with the serger question...
But Welcome anyway!!!

marymargaret

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:56 am

It's just faster because the the machine sews fast, no watching the seam allowance, the blade slices the seam allowance down perfectly. I just bought one and it should be here this week. I have no clue how to use it! Amie

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:17 am

Amie. . . .Which machine did you get? I'm looking and have seen so many I've confused myself now. JoAnn's has a Singer on sale.

I also saw El using a serger on one of her DVDs. It looked very fast. I like to do Kaye Woods 6 hour flip and sew quilt for kids and I think it will go much faster with the serger. Plus I want to try some quilted postcards and finish the edges with a serger.

Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:03 am

I PM'd you but in case others are interested.....

I'm in 4 buy/sell groups for quilters on Yahoo. When I posted my request for a good used serger for under $300, I recieved about 50 emails. I narrowed it down to 3-
A Pfaff 799 for $300
A Bernina for $300
A Janome 434D for $40.

I picked the Janome because I'm not sure how much I will use it. The lady makes wedding gowns and also quilts. She just had it serviced and emailed me the service reciept. She has left it threaded so all I have to do is tie my threads onto hers and never have to thread it myself. I paid $25 shipping and UPS has packed it and insured it. I should get it in a day or so. Amie

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:27 am

I've pieced a couple of quilts on a serger and I have a friend that does all her piecing on her serger. She teaches serger classes.

No special reason you need a serger to do a log cabin but it has lots of straight seams [no curves] and is just a different option.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:11 am

I've seen some quilts pieced with sergers, but I didn't really care for the look. I hate to say that! I wan't to make some clothes for my grandbaby, Colby. Maybe a bag just for kicks. I really not sure what I'll with it to be honest,lololol!!! Gosh.....Amie :o)

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:23 pm

I am working on a flannel lap quilt and decided to use the serger because of the raveling. I have not finished it but so far, so good.

HugANurse

Post by HugANurse » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:51 pm

Welcome, using a serger makes a stronger seam. It does well for quilts with straight seams like the Log Cabin and Quick Trip. I like it, but you have to be careful with the 1/4" seam.

Hope this helps.

Bobbi

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:05 pm

What'a a good starter project for a serger beginner idiot?? It will be here on Wed., ugggg! Amie

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”