Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Fabric Storage

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
DollyQuilt

Fabric Storage

Post by DollyQuilt » Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 am

I've been reading tips on fabric storage. I have tons of fabric, so when I go to a quilt shop, I ask if they have any empty cardboard bolts that they would like to get rid of. I usually can get quite a few that way. I then measure out a piece of my fabric, label how much I have, wrap it on the bolt and store it on some tall bookshelves I have. That way, when I want to make a quilt, I have my fabrics displayed by color, and I can pick and choose. I am working on a quilt right now that is strictly from my stash. Haven't had to buy any more fabric for this one ---- YET. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

Cathy32078

Re: Fabric Storage

Post by Cathy32078 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:51 am

DollyQuilt you have got it together girl! That is great that you are so organized. Doesn't it feel nice to go to your stash & pull enough fabric to do a top without a trip to the LQS????? I have doen that only a few times. I tend to change my mind before I finish the top and want colors that I did not buy for that particular idea. Thanks for posting.

Cathy

luv_2quilt60

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:06 am

Yes, Dolly..Great Idea!

heart_n_hand

Post by heart_n_hand » Fri May 25, 2007 2:35 pm

I also use those old flat card board sleeves to wrap fabric on (wish I had written the measurement on the end--good idea!);)

I also use clear plastic tubs to pack fabric in sorted by color. You can see the color through the plastic container.

Fran

Post by Fran » Sun May 27, 2007 3:14 am

Loved the ideas posted. I'm still in the process of organ.fabrics. I was using containers,but the clear see through was a great idea,that I'm going to use. At present, I'm sorting colors. I'd rather be piecing than hunting for fabrics.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun May 27, 2007 12:04 pm

I have shelves, boxes, tubs, drawers, where ever it fits.
Lori 8-)

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sun May 27, 2007 12:17 pm

I'd rather be piecing than organizing my sewing room! LOL

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun May 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Since I have little shelf space, but a spare closet, most of my fabric is washed and ironed and hung in the closet. It's lost easier to see what I've got. I do also have some of the cardboard bolts with fabric rolled around. And a few clear containers. Unfortunately they are not sorted very well by color. And I haven't found the best way to store all the little scrap size pieces yet. It's one of those projects to do when I don't have anything else to do! LOL
I have some strips cut and hung on wire hangers with clothespins, though I'm not really I really like that method.

Maybe sorting scraps will be a good "snow bound" project this winter!

Maryq

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun May 27, 2007 5:06 pm

I didn't say it was organized. lol
Lori 8-)

quiltfan35

Post by quiltfan35 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:25 am

hello all I have a tall 7foot cabnet my DH made and I have all of my fabric folded and sorted by color and darkest to lightest so when I open it and look over everything I get a good idea of what i want to use and what I need to look for at JoAnns when I get to go. I have another cabnet same kind for notions and everything has a drower that I made out of meat containers from the store I'm not braging I'm just one of those anal people I won't even start a new project till the one I'm working on is finished sometimes that one even bothers me.
Tina

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”