Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

A thank you and a quilt nightmare

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Ginirn

A thank you and a quilt nightmare

Post by Ginirn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am

Just want to thank Eleanor and her crew for the clear concise directions for her patterns and products. I just completed a quilt that was my worst ever quilting experience. I am not a novice and have been quilting for about 15 years and sewing since age 13. Taught myself to sew mostly from a Singer sewing book so I am a visual learner . I have made some intricate quilts and can follow a pattern. Over a year ago I was in Paducah and bought a pattern and fabric to make a wedding quilt for my oldest Grandson. I make more elaborate quilts for this occasion. This particular pattern had foundation piecing and some appliqué. I have done tons of foundation piecing and some appliqué so I was not intimidated. Started on the quilt right away by reading the directions. I could not figure them out even after pouring over them for several weeks . There were a lot of problems. First the designer recommended using a freezer paper technique for the foundation piecing which would add not just hours but days of extra work. Scrapped that idea right away. The directions referred to steps not shown anywhere. There were only a couple pictures throughout. When needing to see detail she referred to the pattern front which was a picture about 4 inches square for a queen quilt. Finally in desperation I emailed to the address on the pattern. I received a phone call from the designer who immediately attacked me demanding to know how I got her phone number. I explained I just sent an email. She did answer one question but that was it. I did get through it but I can’t tell you how many times I thought about a bonfire for this quilt. Does anyone else have any quilt nightmares to share?

auntjana

Re: A thank you and a quilt nightmare

Post by auntjana » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:44 am

Oh yes! I have one on my design wall right now. I followed the directions down to the letter and made sure of my quarter inch seams several times. Some of the blocks came out perfect, others, no matter what I can do, will eat a bit of the point of the triangles. I love how QIAD writes their patterns and directions to be oversized and tben squared up to the right size. I have been quilting for nearly 50 years and sewing garments that long too. Good luck eith yours!

Jana

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:43 am

Yes in my debut of quilting training I attacked the dble wedding quilt oh boy me knew nothing of quilting. Cut them with cardboard template in red's and white. Was doing well till I proud of myself showed a group of ladies to which one negatively commented and I was truly disappointed and threw all my work in garbage. Yes..

Years later I regret listening to negative person and set off on making this wedding quilt again. this time in greens got 1/2 way and sold my blocks to our guild..

Never saw the end of this quilt.

christaldehart

Post by christaldehart » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:54 pm

I went to a class that the instructor said that he was a certified QIAD instructor. I was so excited. I went to a good QIAD instructor 6 months previously and received the quilt pattern and excellent instructions. NOT with this gentleman. He didn''''t give us a pattern. Then he proceeded to give us instructions to start cutting out the first section of the quilt block which had 45 cut pieces in the block. He told us the wrong dimensions to cut for several of the pieces and didn''''t realize it until half way through the first of three classes. Instead of starting over, he told us to make our seam allowance a different size. The next class, I had a sudden death in the family an hour before going to the class and didn''''t go to class. I requested that he send me instructions of what to do, so that I would be at the same spot as everyone else. He didn''''t send them. In fact, he acted like I shouldn''''t have come back, and he didn''''t want to give me information on what I missed until a couple of other ladies started telling me. I asked what the final quilt block should be, and he wouldn''''t answer. I found out that women had between 16" to 18" or more blocks. I am considering taking mine apart, writing my own quilt pattern because it is beautiful, and then make the quilt.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 pm

For the designer of pattern to have treated you in such a manner was indeed egregious.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:21 pm

I wait until last minute to take a class because of student over load and instructor is unable to accommodate each student. Tried making a star quilt with her instructions but could not get parts together. Took it to her and she said I made it wrong.
Told her I had followed her verbal instructions. Still sits in a box. And usd such beautiful and
Top of line fabrics.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”