Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How Can I Get Motor Oil Odor Out Of 60 Year Old Quilt

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
frazay

How Can I Get Motor Oil Odor Out Of 60 Year Old Quilt

Post by frazay » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 am

I have a quilt that my grandmother made over 60 years ago. We stored it and my husband did not pay attention as he stored a box of motor oil over the box that had the quilt in it. The heat in Florida is not kind, the motor oil leaked... I've washed this quilt 3 times in hot water, white vinegar (a whole gallon bottle!!) and even in Tide (it is all cotton fabric and batting) and it still reeks of motor oil. :( Lost all my birth family (both sides) to cancer at a young age and am about to cry at the thought of having to throw this beautiful, handmade quilt my grandmother made away!! Thank you in advance!!

auntjana

Re: How Can I Get Motor Oil Odor Out Of 60 Year Old Quilt

Post by auntjana » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 am

I googled the question, how to remove the smell of motor oil from fabric - it came back with several suggestions - soaking in original coke-a-cola, simple green, baking soda, and others. Try googling the question and read the suggestions. The one thing I would watch is the hot water, as the quilt could shrink. When you tried Tide, did you use the one with Febreeze? Febreeze is wonderful and that al9ne may work.

Hope you succeed!

Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 am

First question is: Did the stain come out? If not, I recommend Oxyclean. If it is just the smell, then I suggest Frebreeze and hanging it outdoors to blow in nature's breeze. Also there are new products on the market called "Unstoppables"??? I think that's what it's call. My son uses this when he launders his kids sports clothes. It takes odors out very well and leaves a really fresh scent.

Main thing is using cool water to protect the older fabrics. And gentle, gentle handling.

Hope this all works out for you.
Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:22 am

Try the grass. Wet grass lawn lay quilt either on grass or on sheet on grass keep damp and out of direct sunlight unless covered by top sheet. May have to leave all day More than once chloraphyl in grass helps. If still not satisfied scent away is what hunters use.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:14 am

my aunt took out peddle bike oil/grease from my child leotards with toothpaste not sure if that would work in this case.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 am

Try Dawn dish soap and a soft scrub brush...Dawn is my go to for all things grease.

Flo

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”