Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Beginning Quilting

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
dsertdweller

Beginning Quilting

Post by dsertdweller » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi Everyone, my name is Teri and I am anxious to begin quilting. I have always wanted to quilt since I was a young teenager, about 40 years ago, and made a quilt in school for my mother. It was such a positive experience that I have always wanted to try again. Quilting seems to be done a lot differently now than it was back then and I have to say all the new ways and rules are making me a little afraid to try. I am disabled and live on a very limited income so will have to get supplies a little at a time. I have a sewing machine, not a fancy one, that my kids got me for Christmas. What are the other vital supplies that I may have to have before I can get started. And as I said I am very limited each month on my income. Thank you all for any advice you can give me.

auntjana

Re: Beginning Quilting

Post by auntjana » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:17 pm

A rotary cutter - there are ones that are easy on the hand and a good ruler - 6 x 18, or a size similar. You will need a mat to cut on. With those three items, you can easy strip piece a quilt together.

El uses 2 1/2 strips in many of her quilts. There are lots of free videos here on the site to watch and learn from.

As time and money comes, add a new ruler to your collection.

Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi Teri,
Welcome to QIAD. This is a wonderful group of Quilt people. Jana has made good suggestions. With a limited amount to spend, I suggest a neutral thread color. I use a light gray or a beige for piecing blocks together. If you have a JoAnn's Fabrics near you, you can sign up for their advertisements which have several coupons. If you have a cell phone that you can put Apps on, JoAnn's has an App that offers coupons, too. I have purchased many of my rulers, cutting mat, rotary cutter and of course lots of fabric this way. Local Quilt Shops have special sales, too, that Quilters take advantage of. As for patterns, there are lots of free ones here and on the fabric manufacturer sites, too.

Hope you enjoy Quilting again. Will be excited to see pictures. There's another thread on here just for that.

Happy stitching,
Lyn

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:28 am

Hi, and welcome.

Living on a limited income is a challenge in itself. Lots of great finds come from a garage sale or thrift shop. There are ladies on this group that also live on a strict budget. These quilting pals have given you lots of great ideas.

This summer I had only one day to introduce quilting to my granddaughter as we visited on vacation. I bought her a rotary cutter, a small mat, a small ruler and a nice inexpensive pair of scissors. Neutral thread and shop the sale rack for fabrics.

You will find lots of great free patterns here on QIAD's site. Start simple and small, like a lap quilt or a table runner until you build your skill and confidence.

Welcome.
Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

Ronert

Post by Ronert » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 am

May I ask how many inches is The Binding supposed to be so I'd be able to make it for my pot holders I'm having trouble remember that how many inches is

Ronert

Post by Ronert » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Thank you

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 am

Ronert, I cut my binding 2 1/2", fold in half and iron. Sew on using a quarter inch seam. By the time I turn to sew down my binding edge is about 1/2". You could do a 2" if you didn't want it as wide.
Lyn

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Ronert,
I have a Singer sewing machine, not fancy but I love it. My sister has an expensive machine and has more trouble with it than I do my Singer. Look at Walmart for inexpensive material. I use Coats & Clark thread because that is what is available locally, I live out in the country. Just make sure you clean your bobbin area often, every couple of weeks. This will help preserve the life of your machine.

Flo

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Belated welcome to our neighborhood. Be careful what kind of fabric you purchase, by this I mean, on a limited income, I watch the quality. Clerks in fabric stores are usually swith buyers as we do not want to purchase fabric at a lower cost if it is not going to hold up to wear.

Also, when purchasing ruler, always buy the same brand, even tho you may find a cheaper size. You would be surprised at the difference. It may not be much, but enough to to not make you very happy.

Happy Quilting .

Helen

QuiltingPin

Post by QuiltingPin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:55 pm

I am making my brother a homespun primitive quilt. Needs it to be 108x108. I want 5 inch border so blocks will be 10". how much shrinkage is in homespun? Should I wash it first? Thanks for any help.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”