Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Help, please! Need dimensions/pattern for simple block pattern baby quilt

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
AmandaCanada

Help, please! Need dimensions/pattern for simple block pattern baby quilt

Post by AmandaCanada » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:54 am

Hi! So grateful to have found this forum. I'm making my first quilt - baby sized. I'm ready to go and get my "real" fabric and I cannot figure out what I need

I've found tons of patterns online but nothing simple enough or quite what I want. I think it'll be 42"x54" - someone said to do 42" so the backing was all one piece. And I want my squares at least 6x6.

But then how many squares? Or rather how many yards of the rest? And how much do I need for binding? Oh brother, please help :-)

rosebud3

Re: Help, please! Need dimensions/pattern for simple block pattern baby quilt

Post by rosebud3 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Amanda, I will see if some of the other girls will check this out and help with the math and yardage for you.

Mary/Rosebud

auntjana

Re: Help, please! Need dimensions/pattern for simple block pattern baby quilt

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:39 pm

42 inches wide, with a 6 inch block, makes for 7 blocks across.

54 is 9 blocks down for a total of 63 blocks total.

That is just a basic estimate. You can add sashing between each of the blocks, how wide is your choice. You need to add the sashing size to your 6 inch block to determine the final width of the row. That will change how many blocks you will need.

Another simple way is to make a pieced block and then alternate it with a solid 6 inch square, for each row.

Now for the math - 3/8 yard strip will yield 14 - 6 1/2 inch squares of fabric. The 6 1/2 is the cutting size to finish at 6 inches. You need to carefully sliver trim the fabric to square up the edge to get the two strips needed to cut the 14 squares.

I make my quilts for babies, 42 x 54 or so - depending on my block size.

Binding, cut on the bias takes about a half yard or so. Less if it is on the straight of grain.

Best advice - make your main block so you can square it up to the correct size. This will make your quilt go together smoothly and give you great results.

Now you are totally confused, come back with more questions, many here can help you with tbem.

Jana

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”