Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Borders for log cabin quilt

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
TGBeginner

Borders for log cabin quilt

Post by TGBeginner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:21 am

I'm making a log cabin quilt as a birthday present for my mom and it is my first quilt. My mom doesn't want to use a dust ruffle with it, she wants it to be a bedspread size. If I add all of the borders to all four sides of the quilt, it will be too long on the top and bottom. Would it look okay to put the last border on the sides only and not the top and bottom?

redgarnet222

Re: Borders for log cabin quilt

Post by redgarnet222 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:35 pm

I am not sure which pattern you used to set your log cabin blocks. But you could add one or two more rows of log cabins to make it either longer or wider. Then the borders will be all the same.
But, if you really want to just add the borders, you could just make them any way you wish and pleases you. I suppose asking your mom would be a good idea, since it is to be for her home.

I would add more log cabins for the length or width to be the size I wanted.

Happy sewing and I hope you show and tell with us when you finish the quilt.

MainelyMe

Re: Borders for log cabin quilt

Post by MainelyMe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:53 pm

It's absolutely okay! I've done that many times. I don't want a square quilt on a rectangular bed either.
Sometimes I just make the side borders smaller than the top and bottom borders too.
Joan

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”