Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Log Cabin Quilt

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
2crafty

Log Cabin Quilt

Post by 2crafty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:40 am

This will be my first log cabin quilt. I am making a baby quilt and was wondering if I could reduce the width of the strips to maybe 1.5?

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Log Cabin Quilt

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 am

you can make the strips 1.5, just remember, you'll need more fabric.

Make sure you can work with 1.5 before cutting up all of your fabric. My fat fingers dont' like small pieces. make sure yours do before getting too far into it.
Psalm 91

redgarnet222

Post by redgarnet222 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:28 am

Hi 2crafty. The size of the block will be changed to a smaller finish of course and it will take a lot longer to make a quilt. I applaud your industrious nature to change it up to make it harder and longer to make. You do realize the finished strips in the block will be one inch wide, right?

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 am

Yes, you can adjust the size of the strips - just remember to figure out how wide you will make the baby quilt and that it will easily fit on your backing fabric. I like to use the 45 inch widths for the back of the baby quilts I make, so I always figure the width to fit that.

Jana

garden

Post by garden » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 am

I have never made a log cabin quilt before but have many others. I purchased EL's log cabin book and I am having difficulty with the amount of fabric to use. I dont understand I guess what she is saying. For instance King one, shows block yardage 25 blocks then it has yardage cut strips center square 1/4yd cut strips 2 1/2 ". when you go across each the light and dark is she giving you the yardage amount on the top line and then how many strips to cuts out of that color or value underneath. Looks like all the strips are 2 1/2' so could you use jelly rolls for that or is it better to get the yardage.

Thanks in advance

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”