Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Memory Quilt Suggestions

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
micaht12

Memory Quilt Suggestions

Post by micaht12 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:39 am

I am making a memory quilt out of my grandmother's t-shirts, I have to make two actually and I had a few questions. Can you quilt with a regular sewing machine or an embroidery machine? Also I am needing to include a few other things besides blocks of her shirts to make the quilt the size I need it to be. I already have a couple of picture blocks to add, but I wondered if anyone had any unique ideas of anything else?

Thanks!!!

MainelyMe

Re: Memory Quilt Suggestions

Post by MainelyMe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:57 am

I have made many memory quilts using the persons clothing, and have also made many t-shirt quilts. The best advice I can give you is to use a light weight, fusible non-woven interfacing on the back of the fabrics, unless they are cotton. Cottons don't need it as that's what we as quilters are used to.
I always cut the clothes up in the largest possible way, then iron the fusible on BEFORE you cut the size or shape you plan to use in the quilt.
For your other blocks I have made blocks that have a connection to the person, like if they loved gardening and flowers, I would make floral blocks. Or if they loved cars, car blocks. Sometimes I made blocks that are symbolic, like if they had four children, a four patch. I think you get what I mean. If you have any questions you can PM me.
Joan

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 am

Just reviewed my old video collection Sewing with Nancy Zimman on making quilts out of various types of fabric. She explains to back the soft flimsy fabrics with interfacing to stiffen and add body.. The denim fabrics sew 1/2 inch rather than 1/4 due to the fray.. All is possible. Just more of a challenge. Our grandparents didn't have the beautiful selection of cottons we know own and they made due..

ArcherSaysI

Post by ArcherSaysI » Tue May 19, 2015 11:44 pm

If you wanted to go down a less traditional route, you could print photographs of your grandmother or other memories onto fabric and add those as blocks alongside the t-shirt fabric blocks? You need to buy special printable fabric, but it's such a great way to preserve old photos and display them without having them possibly damaged!

If you'd like more information on this, let me know. I'm a real newbie on this site so I don't know how the PM system works just yet!

Have fun!

carolannwithoute

Post by carolannwithoute » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:36 pm

When I think of adding an additional type of block, I would consider if the person receiving the quilt went to a specific college. For example, for my son, he went to Florida State University. So I immediately think of adding additional blocks with FSU and the Noles. Maybe add one with Renegade (the horse -- which is the mascot) or the year of being National Champs. Things like that will truly make the person smile!!!! That is why we make such a personal gift.

kittyskids

Post by kittyskids » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 am

I am sure you have finished your quilt. But adding fabrics that remind you of your grandmother, like did she sew, cook, like animals,... and add fabrics with those ideas in them. Or print out words to describe her and memories of/with her.

Gypsy18

Post by Gypsy18 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Memory T-Shirt Quilt: My husband is a runner and has saved literally hundreds of T-shirts from all the races he's run. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has done this. What type of design works best? Interfacing type; most shirts are cotton but some are cotton and polyester. Photos of completed T-shirt quilts would be helpful. Thanks.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”