Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Making a quilt out of football shirts???

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Xcharlie87

Making a quilt out of football shirts???

Post by Xcharlie87 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 am

Hi everyone, I've only ever made quilts out of scrap fabric and poly cotton but recently I was asked to make a quilt out of football shirts( soccer shirts) it's very silky feeling fabric and I'm terrified to cut my boyfriends shirts up. He says he wants the badges ect in each square. What do you think?

QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Re: Making a quilt out of football shirts???

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 am

Since you are so unsure, take one of the shirts to your local quilt shop and ask them for the proper stabilizer for the fabric. You should have a fabric label in the shirt, so you may not really need to physically take it, but it would still be helpful to have it. If you are still unsure, cut a small piece from an area that you do not intend to use in the actual quilt and fuse the stabilizer to it... they treat it to a cleaning and see how you like the result...they proceed with your quilt using the stabilizer--I would no include it in the seam lines as it will add bulk..Check a couple of on-line stabilizer merchants...most of the manufactures have lots of info on their sites --Pellon etc. you could Google the fabric stabilizer as I am not sure what brands are available yo you and go from there. Do not be supprised at the price difference..they are great. Also, I would make a small pillow out of a lesser important shirt if you have the same fabric content before you do a full "go-around"..Good luck

MainelyMe

Re: Making a quilt out of football shirts???

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 am

I have used the type of fabric you are talking about in a quilt before. This is how I handled it. First, it may seem very obvious to us, but I explain to the person that I will be cutting up the shirts, and only using a part of them. I ask if they want the rest back, or should I get rid of it.
Second wash the shirts in hot water, and use a dryer to dry. If they survive that, you'll be able to wash the quilt when it's done.
Third, I open the shirt up and take off the collar, sleeves, etc.
Next I fuse a non-woven, very light, fusible interfacing to the back of the fabric.
Then the shirts are ready for you to cut and sew however you wish to.
If I can answer any questions for you, send me a note.
Joan

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”