Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Invisible Thread

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
DorisK

Invisible Thread

Post by DorisK » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:15 am

I am new to this group, and I have a question re:invisible thread. What do I need to do to keep it from breaking after only a couple of inches of stitching? I use it in both bobbin and top with a size 14 top stitch needle as directed by the sales lady at the quilt shop. I have tried adjusting the tension, but that doesn't help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doris Keller

WeeOne

Re: Invisible Thread

Post by WeeOne » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Doris. Welcome to QIAD!

I haven't used invisible in the bobbin, just on top. I had some trouble with my stitches not being right. I talked to a Bernina rep. at the Houston quilt show and she suggested putting the top thread on a holder on the table next to machine. That way the thread has more time to come off spool and go through machine. I tried it and it helped. I just looked here, El doesn't sell any. If you go to Nancy's Notions web site and type in 'thread holder' you will see what I'm talking about.

Lyn

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

I have used it in the bobbin many times over the years with no trouble. I just don't use a heavy thread in top. I usually use 50 weight on top. Some people say they need to adjust there tension a bit looser than normal.
Hope you can get it to work for you.

QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 am

I do not use a thread holder, but I do put the thread in a jar and set it on the table so it has to come up and has an up-right run off rather than a side wind off. It sometimes helps if you put it in a plastic bag and chill it for a bit. There is static electricity generated I was told years ago and if nothing else works, this sometimes does---you do not want to get it wet however! put it in in a sealed plastic bag and when you are done put it in a fresh bag to keep it soft. Let it sit a bit when you are ready to thread and I know it tells you to use a size 14, but use a microtex 14 it gives nice crisp stitches.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 am

I've never used invisible thread on the bobbin, only on top. And I see some great hints here from others that I'll be trying in future. But for me, I just drop the tension a bit and it seems to work fine. I try to match my bottom thread to the fabric.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 am

WELCOME DORIS HOPE YOU'LL POST PICTURES OF YOUR WORK WE ALL LOVE TO SEE YOUR PROJECTS.. ALSO LOOK FORWARD TO HAVE YOU JOIN OUR DAILY SEW AND GO..

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”