Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Metallic thread problem

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Hawaiigrammi

Metallic thread problem

Post by Hawaiigrammi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:00 pm

I am working on a Christmas quilt and using metallic thread and stenciled on Golden thread paper. When I finished and pulled off the paper its pulling my stitches, any suggestions on why this is happening?

zfatcat

Re: Metallic thread problem

Post by zfatcat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:31 am

Check on the Superior Threads website. They have information on metallic threads and how they work. Lori
Lori 8-)

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Lori's suggestion was my first thought as well.

EDIT: another thought... can you perforate your paper using a shorter (stitch using an old needle) before you stitch with your metalic thread? It should pull off easier.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:46 am

Are you using a stabilizer on the back? If not, that would be my suggestion to you. It will help hold your stitches in place and is usually recommend when using some types of thread.
Joan

QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:12 am

are you using a new metallic needle ...check the schmetz site and you will see the needles suggested for various things. Always clean your machine and oil if it is the type that needs it...check your manuel about this as some of the new one do and some don not require oil. then check stabilizers. sulky has a book about stabilizers. Check their site if you do not have the book and /or the library or local joanns---our keeps sulky books above the thread-not with the other books
but I use light weight interfacing-iron on and tear-away stabilizer on most things. also you can use perfect piecing grom june taylor and hoop it if you do not have the stabilizer handi...good luck

QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:17 am

i forgot to add what are you using in your bobbin? I use bobbin thread ( 70 wt) and i often do bobbin work using the metallic in the bobbin and matching 50 wt on top and sew on the back so that the thread--metallic appears on the right side. you can get away with wider stitches with this method.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Something I'm learning metallic thread usage..

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”