Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

New and need help

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Rachel57

New and need help

Post by Rachel57 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Hello Everyone, I am a new quilter, still collecting pieces to make a quilt, I would like to know what you generally use for backing? And will my quilt look as good tied as machine quilted? I don't think my little plain machine could handle quilting. I am going to try and start with a log cabin, and would I sew the pieces onto a foundation square? Sorry so many questions, I am just learning. Thank you so much for your help.

MEPIECE2

Re: New and need help

Post by MEPIECE2 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 am

Rachel Please introduce yourself through the SEW Ins discussion area. We like new members . If you can add a picture of yourself. Kathy2

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Rachel. Welcome...

The Log Cabin quilt is a very easy pattern and a good one to start with as a new/beginner quilter. It is not necessary to sew the pieces on to a foundation square. El has a book of log cabin patterns and the instructions are very simple to follow. You may want to pick one up to assist you with assembling your quilt. Good luck, enjoy the process, and ask all the questions you need.

Mary/Rosebud

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:10 am

Re your backing question: I like to use flannel. It's snuggly and clings to a bed or couch so it's not slipping off. But sometimes I'll use cotton, and I've been known to piece an entire second quilt for the backing - kind of a two-fer.

One thing I do NOT use is muslin. I will use it only for backing wall-hangings. It's a poor quality fabric and it won't wear well over time.

Now I have a long arm and my husband does the quilting with his Q-bot, but before that I quilted on my old mechanical machine. I even did a queen quilt. Stitch in the ditch is the easiest or a simple crosshatch pattern. You could always tie a quilt, too. Or ask at your LQS about quilters in your area.

quiltforum

Post by quiltforum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi Rachel, Here is the link for the Log Cabin Book

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/b ... e/book/649

We have the book and dvd on sale for $21.67 enjoy

Eleanor makes this quilt fun and easy.

I forgot to mention scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the rulers needed to make the Log Cabin Quilt.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Backing, ever thought of your bed sheets, purchase new for yourself..
Batting, polar fleece works, cotton, flannel of course poly batting is the lower cost.. If tight for money, half quilt batting, half flannel.. For your 1st attempts no need to follow rules, it's for learning.

If your planning on using denim keep in mind, your 1/4 inch stitching line will have to be 1/2 inch or more to accommodate the fraying fabric. If you use things like silk scarves, sewing with nancy recommends you use stabilizer.. Pictures always help to explain us what your trying to make..

When I first started I was sad unable to afford anything, I'd lye on my bed staring at my drapes, like SOUND OF MUSIC I took drapes for backing, pillowcases for block and tablecloth for batting.. Showed the quild, they felt so soory for me, they each donated a piece of their stash.. OK! we have 250+ members.. Imagine the stack of fabric I had returning home.. Cloud heaven..

Lorisplace

Post by Lorisplace » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:56 am

Ok , I bought some martelli things to cut out my first quilt. What one for very beginner thanks lori

Mainecountrygirl

Post by Mainecountrygirl » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi , I am a beginner at this hobby. Iam excited and nervous at the same time. I got a computerized sewing machine from Santa and can't wait to start my first quilt. I can use all the help I can get . Where to start what I need and material I have to learn how to mixed my different fabrics etc. thank you so much! Hope I'am not trouble to have around Mainecountrygirl

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Welcome country girl

No one is ever too much trouble for this site......you will always find helpful people around here. my suggestion to you would be to look at some of Eleanor Burns quilting programs, they are online on her website and you tube. She has a wonderfully simple way of explaining how to do stuff. You can't go wrong with her patterns, try to pick something simple pattern wise first and just do a small quilt. This will help get your feet wet, so to speak.

Come visit us on the Sew In Thread and tell us about yourself. You will meet lots of great people over there and questions are always welcome.

Welcome to QIAD forum.

Joyce

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”