Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

hi, am new and need help

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
luizianna

hi, am new and need help

Post by luizianna » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:22 am

He...I am new to quilting and have a question. When doing a dresden plate, do you do the quilting part over the dresden plate also or just go around it????

thanks for your help in advance!!!!

FlorenceM

Re: hi, am new and need help

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 am

When I made a Dresden Plate, I outline quilted each petal of the plate, and outlined around the whole outer side of plate. I was new to quilting, and the Dresden was my first quilt ever. Being a new handquilter back then, the outline stitch was easiest for me. Now after 30 years, i would probably do it the same way again.

Hope I was of some help.

Flo

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 pm

I think you'll find that you need some quilting on the plate or there won't be enough quilting on your piece. I like doing an echo stitch about a 1/4 inch inside each petal and around the inner circle.
Good luck with it. Joan

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:14 pm

I made my mom a Dresden Plate throw and quilted a little heart inside each circle. I've watched several shows about quilting and they all seem to be of like minds when they say no bigger then your fist balled up should be left un quilted.

Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:53 am

I have quilted a 1/4 echo inside of each seam between the blades. It depends on the batting, the manufacturer will recommend how far apart the quilting should be, the maximum distance. Stitching in the ditch as well.

I have even seen small feathers created in each blade as well - stunning.

Jana

embroiderer

Post by embroiderer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:01 am

Well here is my take on the quilting. I just completed a Dresden plate quilt as I have tons of scraps. I watched Jenny from MSQC and she just used an all over quilt design which appealed to me. I sent mine into her to have quilted. I am not a picky gal and I know it will still look very nice.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:34 am

When I quilted my DP, I did a 1/4" echo around the perimeter of the plate, an elongated oval inside each petal, stitch in the ditch around the center, and then pebbling or stippling inside the center.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:33 am

I love the use of stencil template, because at darning foot stage, haven't progressed to newer equipment yet..

My idea of quilt, a decorative stitch edge of curve in your Dresden plate and stencil template on plain corner edge.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:15 pm

I ordered a Dresden ruler, hope to start working in 2015 on a scrap Dresden.. Keeping your suggestions in mind.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”