Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Do I need to pre-wash quilt fabric?

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Quiltmom

Re: Do I need to pre-wash quilt fabric?

Post by Quiltmom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 am

Guess it is just me, but I always prewash my fabric. As soon as I get home with new fabric I wash it right away before I press it and put it in my containers.

Sherry

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 am

Yes I do. I don't want to run the risk of color bleeding after I put all that work into a quilt. I have bought some high end fabrics and they still bled over. Especially the reds. Lori
Lori 8-)

bichonsrfun

Post by bichonsrfun » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:38 pm

I know I'm really late getting in on this. I always, always prewash the fabrics. Many fabrics are made out of the USA and may have chemicals. Washing eliminates these (hopefully!) Also, I add some liquid starch to the water so I'll have nice crisp fabric to work with.

institcheswithrosie

Post by institcheswithrosie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 pm

I sat in s seminar once and when this question was asked, the vote was about 50/50. The quality of the fabric has improved tremendously in the last 30-40 years. If you. Up quality fabric from a quilt shop there is really no need to was unless you are afraid of bleeding. Then just soak a small strip in hot water.
If you bought you fabric at somewhere like Walmart, I would definitely wash it or you may be very disappointed in the end result.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Fri May 06, 2016 8:08 pm

I only pre wash colors that I think are not color fast, or fabrics I know will shrink.

institcheswithrosie

Post by institcheswithrosie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:44 pm

This us one of the greatest discussion points in the quilt world. In a room of 100 quilters, the answer would probably be split down the middle. I do not wash unless the fabric seems lesser quality and is a bright color. Usually I just wash the quilt before gifting with a couple of color catchers. Do what feels comfortable for you.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 am

I was told to especially wash batiks because they are made overseas and the sanitary conditions are questionable.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”