Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Do I need to pre-wash quilt fabric?

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
GrandmasBeans

Do I need to pre-wash quilt fabric?

Post by GrandmasBeans » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi. I'm just starting out with my quilting journey, and wonder if I need to pre-wash quilt fabric? I have some batiks for a project, but read that they are bad to bleed if not laundered before quilting. But I read another article that said you should never wash fabric until the quilt has been completed because the top and backing may shrink differently.

What is the rule of thumb... Wash before or after quilting is complete? Thanks for any help you can give.

FlorenceM

Re: Do I need to pre-wash quilt fabric?

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 am

I only prewash flannel because it shrinks uneven. But if you are making a ragtime quilt, DO NOT prewash. Hope my opinion helps.

Flo

GrandmasBeans

Post by GrandmasBeans » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Yes. Thank you so much for the info!

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:00 pm

I never wash my fabrics unless Im in a swap where there is a request that you wash all your fabrics then I do but when I make a quilt to give it away I give away color catchers with it.

Lois

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:58 am

Hello GrandmasBeans! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your journey.

I am a pre-washer. The only time I don't pre-wash is if I have a quilt kit with pre-cut pieces. I have even been known to wash charm packs (in a lingerie bag!).

Definitely, batiks and flannels should be pre-washed. Color catchers are wonderful...might want to stock up on them!

Glad you found us. Join us over in the "Sew In" thread so we can get to know you.

Mel

Honeybrown60

Post by Honeybrown60 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Welcome GrandmasBeans1

I, too, am a long time quilter and I DO NOT prewash my fabrics. This is a hotly debated topic and in the end, it is a personal choice. Always buy good quality fabrics from LQS (when possible) and shrinking, bleeding, etc will not be an issue.

Enjoy the journey!

Honeyb.

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Welcome :-)
I always prewash

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:38 am

I always prewash, especially batiks and other fabrics that might bleed. As for shrinkage, because fabrics shrink different is exactly why you WOULD prewash. If one fabric shrinks a lot, and the others don't, your quilt might distort a bit.

On the other hand, if you DO want the puckery look of an old quilt, then you wouldn't pre-wash for shrinkage.

The only rule of thumb I know is to treat all the fabrics in any quilt the same - prewash or not - but all the same.

institcheswithrosie

Post by institcheswithrosie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 am

Never per wash.. May check a small swatch for bleeding. I know El doesn't Rewash either.

GrandmasBeans

Post by GrandmasBeans » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

I can see that this is a hot topic, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Not sure if I will be a pre-washer or not, but Mel, I love the idea of using a lingerie bag for pre-cuts. And thanks, everyone, for the suggestion of using the color-catchers. I hadn't thought of that!

Hope y'all have a great week, and are able to enjoy lots of quilting!

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”