Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

New to Quilting Business - Need friendly advice!

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
balilewis

New to Quilting Business - Need friendly advice!

Post by balilewis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 pm

I recently made my dream come true - I started my own wholesale company based in the USA selling batiks! I grew up in Indonesia and my family was involved in the garment industry. I remember her telling me that back in the day she knew she wanted to make garments and she actually taught herself how to sew. With her help, I was able to establish relationships with manufacturers back home and after many months of late nights (they were at the other side of the world) communicating with them, I was able to start my own company specializing in Batik fabrics.

I honestly need some advice on how to proceed next. Didn't realize that marketing is a very important part of running a business and I don't know where to start. My mother told me that I should try and find sales rep to represent my lines.. but no luck so far!

Do any of you have any advice for me? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited about this great opportunity but I'm also scared as well!

12stepquilter

Re: New to Quilting Business - Need friendly advice!

Post by 12stepquilter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:22 pm

I would approach some independent quilt shops and see if someone is interested in your line of fabrics.If you give that a try you have got a 50/50 chance of getting a yes or no and those odds are better than Vegas.Looking forward to seeing your fabrics.
Rhonda

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:15 am

Independent quilt shops, quilt magazine advertisements, national fabric distributors, get a booth at some of the regional and national quilt shows as a vendor, wholesale to the quilt shop owners magazine ads... Best wishes to you! Batiks are my favorites--hope to see yours! What is the name of your line?

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 am

I know nothing about marketing, but you've received some great ideas already from Chickie and Rhonda. I wish you great success in your new venture! And I look forward to seeing your fabrics!
Mary z

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:26 am

balilewes

Anytime you wish a new quilt product or fabric invention, I'll gladly present it to my group for you.. Our manitobaprairiequilters.ca would do same.. Our guild love bali fabrics. Myself not there yet..

I have done same for other inventors, they send me a product to demonstrate, make the quilt here, show/tell at guild and sold withing 300 + ladies. Same for fabric. Other members who travel abroad promote others product also.. Sharing is what all about.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 am

Sales rep, is very good but from my experience they take their % which may not be profitable for you..

weebly.com is a free website, manitobaprairiequilters.ca have a page for out of town shops, and can publish business size on their newsletter, just trying to share ideas. May not be for you..

msdeets

Post by msdeets » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:27 am

Batiks are big in quilting right now
Looking forward to seeing what you have
Dolores

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Can you show us here what can be done with your fabrics, using Eleanor Burns rulers, patterns? Maybe Eleanor would be interested in hearing from you...

I think if she'd consider it be a great opportunity to spread the word. Who knows maybe she make a tutorial using your fabrics. WIN WIN situation.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”