Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Fabric shades, grades....

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
KatsQuilt

Fabric shades, grades....

Post by KatsQuilt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:11 am

Been quilting for 4 years, self taught. My quilts are "OK". But I have trouble selecting fabrics for color, shade, print size, etc. The color wheel is confusing to me. Any suggestions for reading, viewing on this topic?
Kathy

rosebud3

Re: Fabric shades, grades....

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:10 am

Kathy welcome to QIAD. If the color wheel confuses you, don't worry about using it. My opinion is put colors together the way you like them, not just by the color wheel. Sometimes I like the pattern in a more monotone color way and sometimes they are very "wild". In other words, go with what is pleasing to "your" eyes. Have fun and enjoy the process.

Mary/Rosebud

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 pm

I have found that sometimes starting with a focus fabric and pulling the other fabric colors from that works, Using lighter or darker shades of those colored make it work together. But most of all, go with what you like. I've always found the people in quilt stores willing to help too.
Joan

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am

Welcome!

If you find a piece of fabric that you love, look down the side of the selvege and you will see some color dots. They are the colors in that piece of fabric -great clues for other fabric colors to bring in. Vary the scale of prints, some large, others small. You will be surprised at what you can do.
Jana

KatsQuilt

Post by KatsQuilt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Wow! Thanks auntjana, MainelyMe and rosebud3. It's nice to feel welcome and hear from someone so quickly. Thank you all for the advice. I'll take it and quit worrying so much about the color wheel.
Kathy

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:11 pm

I do like Joan does and have never been wrong yet also if your going shopping take a piece of focus fabric with you pull sevral bolts out then go to where windows are and look sometimes the lighting is poor and you need to see thing in the natural light.

I Hope This Helps.
Lois

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Kathy welcome to our group. I use mostly Civil War and 1800's reproduction fabric. They are easy to match. Problem is I have an addiction to buying it. I will have to live to 120 years old to use it all. LOL. You will like it here at QIAD. Everyone is great.

Sherry

kho

Post by kho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 am

I sent you a pm. One way you may want to start is to look at collections of fabric. Colors and prints are matched all ready.

If you click on the messages thing at the top of the page it should open for you.

Welcome to our group!

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:19 am

If I am looking for value in fabrics, a good way to check for lights, darks and mediums is to take a picture on a black and white copier and look at the gray scale.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 am

Color co-ordination issues, an idea, this is what I have done once..
Walked in shop approached 2 customers who look like they had all day, and gave them my one fabric, HELP! Can you help me, what colors would you choose, I had every customer in there close in on me, and each had there own co-ordination system..

Welcomed them to join me for coffee nxt door.. Made new friends, who then agreed to get together for coffee every mth over fabric matters.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”