Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quality of Fabrics Question.

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
scrapquilter48

Re: Quality of Fabrics Question.

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am

Manitoba-Canada

I've been to Jo-Anne's Grand forks, and Fargo, on bus tour, that place is a candy store to me, spinning my head around deciding what fat quarter to choose. Spend hours in that store.. Walked in with a detailed tragedic plan from swatches, and made out with completely different color co-ordination and a different pattern in mind..

But happy camper..

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 am

I too am a fabric snob. I exclusively use quilt shop fabric when making quilts or anything quilt related. I find them easier to sew on, don't fade and produce a nicer finished product. This of course is my opinion based on my own experiences. Many online shops have great sales where you can get these fabrics a big reductions. In a pinch, I will go to the LQS but you will always pay more there. I gave a baby quilt to DGS therapist a year ago and she just loves it. She says she has washed it a gazillion times and it is still as bright as new. And now she is PG again! Now another quilt. Hoping for a boy this time around. I have some Pirate fabric to use up.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

BellaRose

Post by BellaRose » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 am

Fabric is only one aspect of the longevity of a quilt. I have scraps quilts that my grandmother made in the 1970's (from used fabric that was probably from the 50's) and they look pretty good despite 15 years of constant use another 15 years of occasional use, then the rest of the time being spent in a box or closet. The secret? Washing. The durability of your quilt will depend on your fabric choices but also on how often you wash/dry it and what kind of detergent you use. My quilts were not washed unless there was visible dirt on them, only then did my mother laundered them then hang them outside to dry. The rest of the time they were periodically hung on the clothes line & aired out.
My opinion is to go with whatever fabric (or price point) that you like then treat you quilt like the timeless treasure that is truly is.

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:59 am

Dave,
It is your first quilt. You did what many of us did in the beginning.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:28 am

When I started sewing, it was the era of yards to metric system. OH what did I know of metric.. Took an electrical course to understand it all..

As far as fabric, went to store for 1 yard but I thought it was = to 3 metres.. How much did I get in yards? YEAH! THAT'S right way too much.. The whole 9 yards.. Think I still have some left..

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:59 am

Okay, here's my two cents.........

Buy what you can afford......be careful when purchasing your fabric, you can tell if it is too thin or stretchy or less quality. If you have to stress over how much your fabric costs you will lose some of the joy of making. Is LQS fabric a better quality, most likely.
Does buying your fabric from JoAnns, Hancocks, or Wal-Mart make your quilt less fabulous? NO, absolutely NOT.

I have quilts that I made over thirty years ago that look as great as the day they were made and they weren't made with high dollar fabric. I also have quilts that my mother and grandmother (grannies quilt is 100 years old) made. They show some wear and tear from hard use, but the colors are still strong and fabric still good. I can guarantee you those women used whatever they had, and those quilts are treasures beyond compare. The backings are muslin, and have been washed thousands of times.

So buy what you can afford, make your quilts with all the love you can sew into them.
Give them away, keep them, treasure them.

Joyce

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 am

I agree with "buy what you can afford". Some fabrics shrink more than others, so pre-washing is a good idea if you are unsure. A great place to get nice fabrics is at the thrift store in XL or XXL shirts, full skirts and sometimes actual fabrics that have been donated. Check for all cotton or fabrics of like content.

It would be nice if everyone could afford quilt shop fabrics, but not everyone can... therefore there are the chain stores. If you are making quilts that will not be heirlooms, but what you love and use them. If you are wanting to make an heirloom, perhaps you could purchase fabric a little at a time. There are also great sale fabrics on this site in the store--all quality fabrics as far as I know.

The important thing is to enjoy the process of making your quilts!

rissmeek

Post by rissmeek » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:42 am

I've bought from both JoAnn's and LQS and never had an issue. I would avoid using any store that slammed the competition. It's tacky.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”