Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilted totes/bags

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
quiltingangel

quilted totes/bags

Post by quiltingangel » Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 am

I want to make some totes and/or bags with some double quilted fabric that was given to me. I am looking for some easy patterns, if anyone knows of any. Also, when using this fabric, it seems there will be a raw edge inside. Is there anyway to prevent that? Would a french seam be to bulky with this fabric? Any ideas would be appreciated.

auntjana

Re: quilted totes/bags

Post by auntjana » Mon May 27, 2013 5:41 pm

I would add a simple fabric binding - just like edging a quilt.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Mon May 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I would just cut a strip of coordinating fabric and iron the sides into the middle. Then place it over the open seam and stitch it in place. That way all the raw edges will be I inside and it will be finished to the eye.
A simple tote can be made by making a couple of straps, then cut two pieces of fabric the same size , sew them together on three sides after folding the top over twice and stitching it down for a finished top. Once the two pieces are sewn together,fold the bottom two corners in and sew to make a flat bottom.sew handles in place and it's done.
I hope you can understand what I mean, if not I'll try again if you would like me to.
Joan

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 am

I did one recently and did the mock french seams. Really easy and finished nicely then used a facing type binding around the top.

quiltingangel

Post by quiltingangel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Thank you ladies for the wonderful ideas!!!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:17 am

Remember for bag patterns always some tutorials out there to get ideas.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”