Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quilt In A Day

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
FlorenceM

Re: Quilt In A Day

Post by FlorenceM » Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 am

When I started quilting almost 30 years ago I didn't even know how to sew! My husband bought me a machine, I found a Ben Franklin's store in Norfolk Virginia and jumped in totally stupid.I can appreciate rotary cutters ans Eleanor Burns because I have cut out 5000 triangles with scissors being completely ignorant of bias sides! I now live in the mountains of southern California and one day my husband me a tripto the Quilt in A DAy store in San Marcos.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:39 am

Sherry, I think it helps to understand Eleanor's background to appreciate how well her instructions are written. Eleanor taught Special Education in Pittsburgh for many years and was very well suited to her profession. Eleanor has dyslexia and understood how to break down her student's lessons so that they could learn at their own speed under her guidance. She brings this same type of teaching to her quilting techniques.

Like so many others, I did not know how to sew but longed to make a quilt. A dear friend gave me Eleanor's book "Make a Quilt in a Day - Log Cabin Pattern" on my 40th birthday and I made my very first quilt. I was amazed that I could follow the instructions and be successful. I had tried to make garments from patterns many times in the past but always failed. Without a sewing background, many times I did not understand the directions and terms used. Eleanor not only write clear, concise directions, she also includes step by step photos so you can see what your work should look like. After that first quilt, I made many quilts, always using Eleanor's books. I have tried other patterns, many by well known quilt book writers and I can honestly tell you, no one can compare with Eleanor Burns! I am indebted to her for giving me the ability to be successful in a hobby that I love.

tillie0606

Post by tillie0606 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:26 am

I was on a cruise with Eleanor and had a great tme, good ideas.

Namarose

Post by Namarose » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 am

One thing I like is the history she tells us wh.ile she showing us hoe to make the quilt too. I love history of things.

Katherine

Chiprl

Post by Chiprl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:17 am

I have learned many many things from Eleanor that have excelerated my quilting skill level. Thank you so much for all you teach and I look forward to more.

Karensmarykay

Post by Karensmarykay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I love to watch Eleanor on Quilt in a Day. She has me so motivated to make the Nouveau Wedding Ring That I'm not only working on a table runner but also one for our king size bed! And I've never made a bed size quilt before...only wall hangings and baby quilts. It is such fun to make....I have her book, templates,and premarked interfacing etc.. It's so easy and fun! I've became hooked! Whenever I sit down there is something to do whether it is sewing the arks, cutting them out or turning them. It's Great fun and like reading a good book that you can't put down....there's nowhere to stop. I come out of my Sewingroom and the house is dark where I've been in there so long unaware of the passing time. I love to watch her shows because she is so encouraging and cheerful. She stirs my desire to create. There's none like her.

Karensmarykay

Post by Karensmarykay » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:47 am

Hi Sherry,
From what I can tell it is the use of the rottery cutter...making straighter lines when cutting...therefore straighter seams when sewing and a lot less aggravation. Much faster for sure and neater. The use of the iron on all seams for the neatness and matching seams and points is important in the quilt's appearance. What a treat to go see her!! I sure wish I was close enough! I love her cheerful personality and her excellent way of teaching....step by step. I'm hooked on the Nouveau Wedding Ring quilt...so fun!
You are so blessed to be around her!
Karen

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”