Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Working with Cuddle and/or Minkee

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
quiltingangel

Working with Cuddle and/or Minkee

Post by quiltingangel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:58 am

Does anyone have any tips on quilting with Cuddle or Minkee? I am going to make scarfs for Christmas gifts, one side Batiks and one side Cuddle. Thanks for any help.

MainelyMe

Re: Working with Cuddle and/or Minkee

Post by MainelyMe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 am

Wow, you are daring! I have used minkee for the backs of baby quilts before, put mostly did in the ditch sewing with a walking foot. My suggestion would be to stabilize the project well, with basting or pins. The minkiee will shift and stretch if you don't. Other than that, you should be fine. Good luck!
Joan

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

I don't have any experience with this; however, a friend of mine said she ironed on a lightweight fusible interfacing to keep the fabric from stretching...

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Cindy G uses a lot of Minkee and if you PM her, I bet she'll have a lot of hints for using it.

eyeLove2quilt

Post by eyeLove2quilt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Use lightweight interfacing for sure!!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Good luck with that fabric - around my house it is know as the evil fabric - so use lots of pins because it moves and has a mind of it's own.

I will only use it if I absolutlely have to - so there is my two cents worth!

Jana

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I use blankets made of that soft, plush fabric for backing on lots of my quilts. I do not put batting in the quilt as it is a great weight with just the quilt top and plush backing. You can purchase these blankets in sizes of Throws all the way up to king size. I love that I can use it for backing and not have to have any seams in it. I purchase the blankets at Ross, Marshall's, or TJ Maxx and they are less expensive than backing width quilt fabric. I make soft cuddly pillowcases for kids with the left over fabric. I make a binding to cover the seams as the plush fabric creates lots of fuzz and lint if not covered.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:52 am

I see a number of quilters use the minky for baby quilts backing. I looked into the price as expensive but goergous. It is stretchy so wondered how it is to work with.. Holding back buying until I know how to work with it..

Tks ladies for your info..

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 am

Linda thanks for info, in Wpg there is a shop that sells by the lb. small pieces.. Was looking at them recently, but decided to wait till I fully understand its usage. When you calculate the batting/backing all tog. Guess price isn't so terrible, since one layer only.

Pillowcases can only imagine how soft that would be..

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:43 am

My 1st encounter with minkee..

At 2012 quilt reflections, 1 lady rent a htl room with airmiles point, then brought in 3 other ladies that help pay for the cost, then the minkee was bought from a collection of coupons, throughout the year, all 4 ladies got tog. Their excitement of this new fabric had me questioning on the trend.. How I got interested in the product.

Since that day I have been noticing this fabric in quilts and found shops that carry them.. I look forward to working with this gorgeous fabric.

Q: What is it like for washing?
Q: Durability factor?
Q: Does it pile after time?

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”