Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Newish Quilter here. Question on squaring up

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
SunsetPurl

Newish Quilter here. Question on squaring up

Post by SunsetPurl » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi quilters!! Fairly new to quilting and I'm finding that some instructions don't tell you how to square up a block to a specific size. Example. I'm working on a small star point block which is surrounded by a larger star points. ( quilt is the Three Tours quilt which I got in a Fons/Porter mag). The total block should be 10". I assume I should square up the small block before adding the additional pieces to make the complete block but am not sure how to figure the right size. Is there some general guidelines?
I am so hooked on quilting but don't have any mentors or quilt shops in my area!!
Thanks!!!

jodydearjane

Re: Newish Quilter here. Question on squaring up

Post by jodydearjane » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 am

I don't think you square up a star point block; unless it would specifically tell you too. For one thing, I can not imagine that the star point block is square; so it would have awkward angles that need to remain for the larger star points. But then, I have not seen the Three Tours quilt.

Also, check with Fons/Porter mag or website; just give customer service a call and ask for help. or write an email for pattern help. i am sure that they would be helpful too. and more informative and knowledgeable than I am.

Remember, we learn by doing. Don't be afraid to attempt one with the attitude of "I'll see if this is correct. I will go forward with my best attempt."

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Sometimes I just sliver trim. (just a little to even up the sides but you have to make sure you don't get to close to the points.) You need to keep 1/4" at the edge of the points of the stars.

SunsetPurl

Post by SunsetPurl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks so much for the tips!!! Nadine I took your advise a sliver trimmed the edges and it fit worked beautifully. I was able to square the whole lock to exactly 10".
Thanks again!!!!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am

Just saw this thread question - when you square up the block - use the 45 degree line that goes through your ruler and place it corner to diagonal corner - right through the middle of the block - this will help you keep the block centered as you square it up = always watch that you have the 1/4 inch seam allowance over each of the star points and then you can sliver trim it to the right size. Trim 2 sides and then turn the mat or the ruler - which ever works for you and do the other two sides.

Once they are square, they sew together beautifully.

Jana

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:11 am

Be sure to keep in mind that a 10" block means finished. Before finishing it would be 10.5"!

Best wishes to you!!! Come back and join us!!! We're in the Sew In on a daily chat--do JOIN IN!!!

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

Your very welcome. I have cut my points to close many times I try not to do that anymore. I always measure to make sure there is 1/4" now.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:01 am

Points! That scares me! No help there!

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”